Toilet Replacement

Please forgive me if this is a repeat; I'm new here. I searched but couldn't find answers to my questions. Recently bought an 84 Coachmen. Working my way through the coach, learning and upgrading where we can.

Had some trouble with the toilet (Aqua Magic IV, low, hand-flush), so we pulled it and are going to replace it (it's nasty and yellow with blue splotches anyways!). Don't need the queen mother of all toiletswe don't live in the camper, but weekend in itbut since I'm picking, I want to pick the best for my needs and budget (low!). Leaning toward the higher profile toilets this time. Was thinking of going with the Aqua Magic V, but read a few complaints of bad odors with this toilet; are there known problems with them, or are those isolated cases?

Hand or foot flush? Is one more durable than the other?

Are the dimensions the same for RV toilets generally, or do I need to be careful what I pick? Our rear-dinette floor plan puts the bathroom just behind the driver's seat and the toilet faces the door, meaning you almost bump your knees when sitting on it. I don't have a lot of space to play with; it needs to be the same size as what we had.

In the same vein: when replacing the toilet, is there any way to remount the toilet at a slight angle so as to provide a skosh more space?

Any advice on where to find the cheapest price? I'm looking at Amazon right now since I have Prime membership, but open to suggestions.

Thanks ahead of time for any crappy (LOL) advice you can offer.

Deanne

1984 CoachmenThe "Happy Camper"

I can't give advice or an "informed" opinion since I've never used Thomas Crapper's invention in an RV. That being said, I've bought and installed many as replacements in RVs. The high version with hand-operation seems to be a favorite choice. The only complaint I've heard from the Thetford "AquaMagic" toliets is lack of repair parts for older versions.

Moving a toilet is fairly easy in an RV that has conventional PVC or ABS plumbing between the toilet and the holding tank. But - many RVs have the toilet direct mounted over the holding tank and that makes moving much more difficult. It might require some cutting of the ABS and refusing or regluing the toilet flange adapter.

The last couple of times I've bought I got from Adventurerv.net $111 and $14 shipping and no sales for the Thetford high mount and hand operated model # 31648.

I have one left over, brand new and still in the box (NOT USED) for $80 if you want, plus whatever postage is. Color is white. I paid $105 for it back maybe a year ago.

http://www.adventurerv.net/thetford-aqua-magic-hand-flush-toilet-high-profile-white-p-8678.html?action=calc

Check Amazon for a Dometic 310 toilet. It has a porcelain liner that doesn't stain like the plastic toilets do.