Best cellular / data plan for travelling

VJS

Hi All

We are planning a trip around N. America and would like to use our ipad with a data plan. We don't have a cellular plan of any kind now and are not very knowledgable about our options.

We would like to avoid a contract and pay as we go. If we went with an American provider like Verizon, is coverage included across america? Does roaming apply?

I assume we'll need a SIM card, but we don't want our device locked.

Any advice or shared experience is greatly appreciated!

We live in Canada and always pick up a cheap Tracphone for travelling in the states in order to avoid sky high roaming fees on our Canadian cell phone when used in the States. If you're in the US and have no cell phone plan, the Tracphone opton would serve you well for the US. In Canada go to Walmart and buy the cheapest pay as you go plan they offer for use in Canada.

We live in Canada and always pick up a cheap Tracphone for travelling in the states in order to avoid sky high roaming fees on our Canadian cell phone when used in the States. If you're in the US and have no cell phone plan, the Tracphone opton would serve you well for the US. In Canada go to Walmart and buy the cheapest pay as you go plan they offer for use in Canada.

Thanks Wayne, we live in Canada as well, but It's actually an iPad we want to use so we would need a data plan rather than a standard phone.

When we went thru Canada on the Alcan, Verizon warned us to turn off cell phones and disable data, else we would incur roaming charges.

If your coming to US from Canada, I suspect the same would apply, Maybe stop by a Walmart or a Verizon store and buy a prepaid or pay as you go plan.

John Mc

88 Dolphin Auto

Better question would be who is your Ipad currently locked to?

in order to purchase an Ipad it comes pre built for either ATT or Verizon... Only the ATT one takes a sim card. The Verizon one wont have sim slot. So your "choice" has been made for you by the maker. ATT since you state you have sim slot. ATT has a pay by session data plan and data plans that range from 14 buck to 50 bucks a month for unlimited. There unprovisioned Sim cards ar 6 bucks.

my phone always works there; roams there. but this is no phone; he said Ipad. this would just be data.... I am unsure how data works in Canada. you a Canadian VJS? will you be in Canada?

found this story which bridges the Gap...http://www.paulpehrson.com/2011/06/30/us-ipad-travelling-canada/

my phone always works there; roams there. but this is no phone; he said Ipad. this would just be data.... I am unsure how data works in Canada. you a Canadian VJS? will you be in Canada?

found this story which bridges the Gap... http://www.paulpehrson.com/2011/06/30/us-ipad-travelling-canada/]http://www.paulpehrson.com/2011/06/30/us-ipad-travelling-canada

Thank you very much for the link, that gave me exactly the info I needed!