Resources for beginners

jmowrey

My wife, Janice and I, are brand new to the Toyota RV world. We just purchased a 1987 Dolphin (22Re automatic). I will be flying out to Michigan in April to pick it up from the current owner. I'm confident that all systems will be operational. The owner is very helpful and seems to be full of integrity. I also have access to the mechanic who has worked on this unit and he will be doing a trip check on the vehicle before I leave Michigan. I'll be making the maiden voyage back to Santa Fe on my own and I know NOTHING. I'm a handy guy (though not a mechanic or an electrician) and relatively clever, but I've never had any experience with RVs of any kind.

Does anyone have any links to some basic training information? I have been wandering around this discussion group and one other group and picking up lots of useful stuff. Same with the web overall. But what I really need is some kind of online crash course for beginners. In particular, I am concerned by what little I've been able to learn about the electrical systems. My Dolphin doesn't have a generator, so I'll be relying on the coach battery for my lifeline. If everything is working properly, can the average Joe expect to get by for a week-long trip!?

I'm determined not to wind up checking into a motel!

Thanks!

Joe

just make sure your coach battery is good and charging when your toyota is runing. and DO NOT BE STRESSED and you will be fine. make sure a your lights work.

Joe,

The only one that knows whether you'll be okay for a week-long trip is you after you go over the motorhome. Your mechanic can assess things like the engine and drivetrain, hoses, belts and fluids, etc., but make sure you and he go over everything! Tires over 6 or 7 years old should be replaced regardless of the tread left. This may seem like overkill but tires can be one of the most problematic things on a long trip like you'll be on and most motorhome tires "age out" before they wear out. The recommended size for a Toyota motorhome is 185 R14, load range "D".

The coach battery may need replacing but if its bad, at least it won't stop you from getting home.

John

My wife, Janice and I, are brand new to the Toyota RV world. We just purchased a 1987 Dolphin (22Re automatic). I will be flying out to Michigan in April to pick it up from the current owner. I'm confident that all systems will be operational. The owner is very helpful and seems to be full of integrity. I also have access to the mechanic who has worked on this unit and he will be doing a trip check on the vehicle before I leave Michigan. I'll be making the maiden voyage back to Santa Fe on my own and I know NOTHING. I'm a handy guy (though not a mechanic or an electrician) and relatively clever, but I've never had any experience with RVs of any kind.

Does anyone have any links to some basic training information? I have been wandering around this discussion group and one other group and picking up lots of useful stuff. Same with the web overall. But what I really need is some kind of online crash course for beginners. In particular, I am concerned by what little I've been able to learn about the electrical systems. My Dolphin doesn't have a generator, so I'll be relying on the coach battery for my lifeline. If everything is working properly, can the average Joe expect to get by for a week-long trip!?

I'm determined not to wind up checking into a motel!

Thanks!

Joe

You've got me wondering. Why did you buy an RV in damp, salty, rusty Michigan if you are in place like New Mexico where cars, truck, and RVs tend to be in much better shape? I'm not questioning your judgement and I assume you had your reasons. Just wondering what they were? I live in New York and northern Michigan and see an awful lot of RVs that are ruined, or half-ruined from rot and rust. Snow, rain, road salt used 12 months a year in some areas, etc. My mindset is the converse. I see many clean rust and rot free rigs out in the south-west or west-coast and wish they were closer so I could buy. My 1978 Toyota came from Louisiana. Had it been from Michigan or New York for even 15 years - it would be a rotted, rusted, piece of junk if used year-round.

Looking at the simplified diagram.

The "Converter" is the central distribution component for all power , both 12 volts and 110 volts.

12 Volts

As can be seen in the diagram, your Internal lights, Furnace, range hood (lights and blower), and optionally, you may have a Frig that can operate off 12 volts, and a roof vent fan thats 12 volts

12 volt power can come from three source, the coach battery, the truck alternator (when the truck is running) or the converter itself, when your plugged into shore power.

Additionally, when plugged into shore power, the converter will re-charge your coach battery.

110 volts

Your Frig and wall outlets are supplied with 110 volts from the converters circuit breaker panel. And the converters internal power supply will convert the 110 volts to 12 votls to supply the coach and re-charge the battery. If you have an Air COnditioner, it also runs off 110 volts.

110 olts can come from two places, either the shore power cord (long extension cord) or if you have the optional gas powered generator set.

Most DOlphins have a 30 amp connector on the end of the shore power cord (looks like an electric Dryer plug), make sure you get an adapter so you can plug this into a standard household (15 amp) wall outlet.

John MC

88 DOlphin 4 Auto

post-4544-0-19694500-1364160139_thumb.jp

My preference of places to overnight;

Loves Truck stops. They are big and I can usually find a place away from entrance/exit so it quieter.
Pilot, TA, other truck stops
Walmarts - Most allow overnight parking

Cracker Barrel - same, but little harder to find

Road side rests

Walmarts (check around parking lot for signs that say NO Overnight), but most allow it. I like Walmart as you can run in shop for supplies, and stay in the lot. The problem is the lots are usually noisy, If I stay, I watch how traffic is entering and exiting, and try and get away from there.

Loves Truck stops are generally new and have large parking areas, I find a spot in front (not in the truck area)

the Frig should operate on Propane, but the Toyhouse needs to be level front to back when parked. you may have bubble levels, if not get some.

LP tank, verify you have a horizontal tank and not a regular BBQ tank (They look very similar)

Verify tires, age trumps thread (check the spare , and the tire jack)

Good luck and have fun.

John Mc

88 DOlphin 4 Auto

First stop after picking it up? Sears. Buy every tool you think of that you might need, including a jack and stands. Don't open them. If you need them on your trip home, you've got them. If you don't, return them (unopened, remember?) to your local Sears. Nothing worse than being stranded at the side of the road with nothing but a Swiss Army knife. Unless you're McGyver, of course!

You've got me wondering. Why did you buy an RV in damp, salty, rusty Michigan if you are in place like New Mexico where cars, truck, and RVs tend to be in much better shape? I'm not questioning your judgement and I assume you had your reasons. Just wondering what they were? I live in New York and northern Michigan and see an awful lot of RVs that are ruined, or half-ruined from rot and rust. Snow, rain, road salt used 12 months a year in some areas, etc. My mindset is the converse. I see many clean rust and rot free rigs out in the south-west or west-coast and wish they were closer so I could buy. My 1978 Toyota came from Louisiana. Had it been from Michigan or New York for even 15 years - it would be a rotted, rusted, piece of junk if used year-round.

The RV I'm purchasing is a gem, in like new condition from an reliable source. It has been stored indoors when not in use. No rust issues. The Toys I've seen here in NM have been really rough. Basically just junk on wheels.

My preference of places to overnight;

Loves Truck stops. They are big and I can usually find a place away from entrance/exit so it quieter.

Pilot, TA, other truck stops

Walmarts - Most allow overnight parking

Cracker Barrel - same, but little harder to find

Road side rests

Walmarts (check around parking lot for signs that say NO Overnight), but most allow it. I like Walmart as you can run in shop for supplies, and stay in the lot. The problem is the lots are usually noisy, If I stay, I watch how traffic is entering and exiting, and try and get away from there.

Loves Truck stops are generally new and have large parking areas, I find a spot in front (not in the truck area)

the Frig should operate on Propane, but the Toyhouse needs to be level front to back when parked. you may have bubble levels, if not get some.

LP tank, verify you have a horizontal tank and not a regular BBQ tank (They look very similar)

Verify tires, age trumps thread (check the spare , and the tire jack)

Good luck and have fun.

John Mc

88 DOlphin 4 Auto

John,

Thanks for the tips. The wiring diagram is particularly helpful and answers a lot of my questions.

First stop after picking it up? Sears. Buy every tool you think of that you might need, including a jack and stands. Don't open them. If you need them on your trip home, you've got them. If you don't, return them (unopened, remember?) to your local Sears. Nothing worse than being stranded at the side of the road with nothing but a Swiss Army knife. Unless you're McGyver, of course!

I'm handy, but not mechanically adept enough to get much use out of a jack and stands. If it comes to that, its tow time. But I will be shipping a couple of boxes of essential items to the home of the current owner of the RV I'm buying, stuff like bedding, dishes, etc. I'll have a basic set of tools in there. He is being exceptionally helpful and will have everything charged, loaded, turned on etc. for me. He will also spend the afternoon with me going over all the functions of the unit. Im not anticipating having mechanical problems (who is?). But I have roadside assistance insurance. I'm more concerned about making the unit function for me, learning about places to park, and just generally figuring out the lifestyle and language on this first trip. Someone should write an RV for Dummies book!

I'm handy, but not mechanically adept enough to get much use out of a jack and stands. If it comes to that, its tow time. But I will be shipping a couple of boxes of essential items to the home of the current owner of the RV I'm buying, stuff like bedding, dishes, etc. I'll have a basic set of tools in there. He is being exceptionally helpful and will have everything charged, loaded, turned on etc. for me. He will also spend the afternoon with me going over all the functions of the unit. Im not anticipating having mechanical problems (who is?). But I have roadside assistance insurance. I'm more concerned about making the unit function for me, learning about places to park, and just generally figuring out the lifestyle and language on this first trip. Someone should write an RV for Dummies book!

Ha! How about that. There is an "RV for Dummies" at Amazon. In fact, there are two different publishers with idiot guides. I'll be getting one of those.