Hi, all. I have a 1978 Dolphin with a 20r engine. I see a couple of threaded holes on the engine block near the smog pump. They look like they are filled with some kind of sealer like JB Weld. Can I clean that stuff out and use the holes for an air conditioner bracket? I have a compressor and bracket out of a 22r engine.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi, all. I have a 1978 Dolphin with a 20r engine. I see a couple of threaded holes on the engine block near the smog pump. They look like they are filled with some kind of sealer like JB Weld. Can I clean that stuff out and use the holes for an air conditioner bracket? I have a compressor and bracket out of a 22r engine.

Thanks for any advice.

Here's a photo of the AC compressor on the 20R in my 1978.

post-6578-0-66264400-1363106820_thumb.jp

I have the same two holes on my 20r block. Their also filled. Since I've removed all my pollution controls, their easy to see. They do appear to be some type of mounting surface, but for what I'm not sure. Maybe a requirement for an export country?

None of my books show anything there.

Just as an oddball The 18R had similar things and the standard 18r out of a celica corona hilux do not fit in the hiace van because of such issues, the engine mounts are not interchangeable as the hiace engine does not have the holes drilled or threaded to take the standard engine mounts and vice versa. the toyota cab overs use the same engines such as the 20r in the coaster bus and everything mounts on them differently and I would imagine that the V6 3VZ would be the same that the front wheel drive version out of the camry would not bolt in the pickup because of such things as power steering pump a/c engine mounts would all be in different positions and no threaded holes.

The photos are of a 2H, a number of moons ago I knew of a dyna truck that had a h diesel that was held flat to the floor til it went bang and the engine that was put back in it was out of a landcruiser and it was not a bolt in due to the no holes issue and plates were made to make it fit in

20130313_113129_zpscd39b197.jpg
20130313_113121_zpsa0742af5.jpg
20130313_113110_zps48c9eba9.jpg

Edited by unknowing aussie