HF 40 meter June 19,20 & 21 Call out

For anyone with 40 meter capabilities I will be attempting contact from the High Sierras on June 19, 20 and 21 at 12 noon and 9 pm. Will try to check in to the noon net on 7.2685 LSB starting at around 11:30 am. I will then move to 7.280.0

Here is the Google Earth placemarker

KI6BJI

KI6BJI_Pacific_Valley.kmz

Gregg - Darn, darn,darn! I didn't read this post until today - I sure would have loved to have a QSO with you to see how things are going. I do have 40 meter capability from home. Maybe we can set up a sched and talk some time. Do you have a 40 meter mobile rig, or were you operating portable?

73's

Bill - WA7FBU

Bill

I passed my General a couple weeks ago and a friend AE6RF loaned me a Icom IC-730 with antenna tuner. I took his 40 meter half wave folded dipole but I also quickly threw together a 40 meter dipole as a test. My quick job worked better. So the answer to your question is no. I presently own no HF equipment. The area where we were was in a deep canyon but the 40 meter worked well. We had a MT. Lion kill a 4 point buck about 400 yards from camp. We made a contact in the Mojave desert and he made a phone call for us back to the local forest service office as an advisory about the kill. Within two hours the County Sheriff was there looking for me about the incident. We were at least 40 mins away from cell phone or repeater coverage coverage so that king of communication was really cool. An HF antenna on the RV is definitely in the future for mobile use.

I think AE6RF may let me borrow the 730 for awhile so perhaps I can get the antenna up and we can qso. We just did field day (my first time) and so I am a bit tired but will do a scan where I can put up the antenna. I am surrounded by 200 foot tall redwoods so its just a matter of getting it up in the air.

Also as a note. I put in for a vanity call and hopefully should take effect next week. My new call hopefully will be K6GPH

Greg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Greg - Let's try to set up a schedule. I assume a daytime contact would have to be on a weekend. We will be leaving shortly for a family reunion at Lake Tahoe, but will return on the 5th of August. Sometime on the following weekend would be fine, or anytime after that. I think 7270 kHz is usually clear. FB on the new call - I assume GPH are your initials. Very cool! It's easy to remember for me as "gallons per hour".

Bill WA7FBU

Gallons per hour is how everyone is seeing it and yes they are my initials.

7270 sounds good. I will start putting the rig on that one when just sitting around in the eves. Be looking forward to it when you get back.

Greg K6GPH