Hwy 101 North Caost Oregon Trip - Whats the skinny?

Gary_M

We have 4-5 days to explore Hwy 101 in the north Oregon area, 15-20 April. Not to limit us to the north part but just a starting point. We would be traveling south from Seattle. I hear that there are more pull-off scenic stops on 101 going south than going north. I'm taking my large format camera setup to take some coastal scenes shots. The best thing about my Toy is the rear bath serves for a perfect darkroom.

I'm looking for any unique places that you've stayed in your Toy, oceanside/coastal camping. If you know of any interesting places that a 7 year old would enjoy, let me know too. She likes hiking trails and exploring. The wife wants to spend at least one night at a Hotel. She is suggesting Mcmenamins, I can't complain there. ;-)

My starting reference is the Oregon Parks and Recreation

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/searchpark.php?region=north_coast

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Gary

Gary,

Quite a number of years ago, I traveled the entire Oregon coastline approximately 20-30 times. Even though it was for business and not pleasure, I sure enjoyed my coastal trips. Like you, I started in Astoria and concluded in Gold Beach. I haven't been back since those many years ago. So, I won't be able to offer you specific cool places of interest. But I can leave you with some generalities. The Oregon coast IS THE BEST on the west coast. WA and CA don't even compair. As you start your journey in the north, 'wander, explore & enjoy' all the way down to the California Redwoods. You won't be disappointed with ANY of the Oregon coast. The only thing disappointing, will be when you and your family have to go back home to the big city.

-Riverman77

• 2 weeks later...

Best road trip I've ever had was along the coast a couple years back in August. We are actually doing a big trip this Summer and definitely passing through again. Newport was very cool place to stop because it was a quaint, town sitting on the Rogue river. If you like craft beers, the Rogue brewery is my hands down favorite. There is a couple of small streets north of the river that are walkable. There is a great seafood place that has been there forever. They also have a mini aquarium and science center. There are 5 or 6 other great coastals towns worth checking out, but of course, I can't remember anything without seeing the map again or the pictures we took. I'll try to look for them and re-post. There is another great place on a different river where they do all the salmon fishing, especially during the spawning season. I remember numerous walking, hiking, and look out spots for photos. Further north, before you get to the top of the state, there is a great stretch of ride along the cliffs. There is a famous lighthouse and some caves below. The whole coast is just terrific. I even saw my first whale there 30 yards off the shore. ENJOY!