Tail Light Wiring

PixieChick

In my excitement to get my new tails wired, I...uh....cut them off before getting a good look at how they were wired...I'm hoping one of you fine gentlemen, (or ladies) can help me out with this?

post-6986-0-95534100-1361461789_thumb.jppost-6986-0-75061300-1361461907_thumb.jp

The easiest way to go about it will be to get out your multimeter and start looking. First off, on trailers, white is frequently the ground. Hook one lead from your meter up to the white and check continuity to a good ground. If you have continuity, you know that it is indeed your ground. If white is not ground, keep checking for continuity between one of the wires and a good ground. By your pictures, the white should be ground. On trailer l;ights, the standard is yellow left, green right for wiring.

Next, set your meter to the 12 volt setting, turn on your headlights, and check for voltage between your ground and the other wires. When you find it, mark it with masking tape.

Continue this process with the brake lights, left turn, and right turn signals.

You have now done your own diagnostic check.

One of the most important tools when working on your MH is a multimeter. It does not have to be an expensive one. I like the Sears digital meter with auto shut-off. I keep forgetting to turn my meter off while using it and this function saves alot of money on batteries. My rubber armoured Sear meter was about $20.

No idea how yours is wired, BUT the standard color code for tail lights is....

yellow..left stop and turn

white....ground

green...right stop and turn

blue ..trailer brakes??? maybe just running tail lights

red .... backup light.

YMMV

A helper and a voltmeter would be a really big help