Sunrader LED tails

Sierra-rader

Hi there,

New to the forum, working our new-to-us old Sunrader into road trip shape... I've looked at a couple of led tail light conversion threads and then stumbled across this blog, which shows a pic of an '85 with a Bargman wide triple led unit....

http://bit.ly/Zltquu

What gives? I'd love those lights in my '86, but they are 18" wide (http://bit.ly/YrRB5H) while the old Reflectolite 1400s are 21" wide?

I've been considering cutting some blank acrylic to cover those tail holes and then mounting 4" surface mount LEDs... But if that Bargman triple will work, that looks mighty bright and clean!

Yes the old ones are much wider. I always thought if mine needed to be replaced I would make a frame out of white plexiglass to fill in the extra space. That bargman is the closest your going to get but you still need to fill the gaps with something

Linda S

It certainly doesn't look like it but Roxanne's is a 4x4 and I don't know if they used the same huge Bargman unit on hers as they did on my 2wd. Sounds like she had to cut more space open to fit these in. All I know is mine is much bigger than anything I can currently buy. Just checked on another site. The tail lights that Roxanne removed were Monarch and they were only 14 3/4 inches wide. Thats why this LED bargman fit and she did have to cut the hole bigger. Sunrader used many different kinds of stuff in their rigs. Not always standard

Linda S

Great info, Linda, thanks. Well, given the temperamental nature of the tail lights on our rig, I will sooner than later venture into a led conversion idea I've been pondering.... When that happens, I'll attempt to figure out how to post pictures :-)

• 1 month later...

Well, sooner than later came. With my son's assistance, we took some plexiglass, cut by the hardware store, drilled mounting holes, etc.

backing

Then painted the backing plates, mounted up two surface - mount "trucker" style LED taillights, and replaced those darn "reflecto - lite" originals. Simple, bright, and much more reliable than the original unit

tail

Looks great. I would do the same but still use the Bargman triples and fill the gap with plexi. They do make solid white plexiglass that wouldn't need to be painted. I'm lucky enough to have Tap plastics nearby and can get it there. Very nice fix though.

Linda S

Did you have to install a resistor in line to get your turn signals working? That is something that I have been worried about when I consider installing LED lights.

You know, the signals work the way I expected- they are flashing at the fast "bulb out" rate. I am going to switch the relay out for a heavy duty one, but I have so far been unable to separate the thing from where it's plugged into under the fuse box at the kick panel. If anyone knows how to unclip the signal relay, I'd much appreciate knowing the trick (its an 86' truck)I would prefer to swap the relay than install resistors.