I installed a reman. Nissan v6 (VG30e, 3.0L; was 30i before rebuild). JIS (Japan Engine) engine did the rebuild, which now has 3k miles on it. JIS does not, however, put in new lifters--they recondition or "rebuild: them;

I used non-syn oil for the first 3k miles, and just now changed to Castrol High Mileage "part-syn." When the engine was first installed, it seemed to make a bit of lifer noise on start up, which disappeared; after this recent oil change, using the part-syn, the noise seemed louder and did not go away after about 30 sec (I have not driven the car yet, however, since the change)--

my question is: should I go back to non-syn oil?

should I replace the lifters with the orig ones, which I saved (since the engine had only 70k miles on it)?

should I buy new, aftermarket lifters?

should I just ignore the noise and carry on?

I installed a reman. Nissan v6 (VG30e, 3.0L; was 30i before rebuild). JIS (Japan Engine) engine did the rebuild, which now has 3k miles on it. JIS does not, however, put in new lifters--they recondition or "rebuild: them;

I used non-syn oil for the first 3k miles, and just now changed to Castrol High Mileage "part-syn." When the engine was first installed, it seemed to make a bit of lifer noise on start up, which disappeared; after this recent oil change, using the part-syn, the noise seemed louder and did not go away after about 30 sec (I have not driven the car yet, however, since the change)--

my question is: should I go back to non-syn oil?

should I replace the lifters with the orig ones, which I saved (since the engine had only 70k miles on it)?

should I buy new, aftermarket lifters?

should I just ignore the noise and carry on?

I doubt your choice of oil has anything to do with it. Oil sold as "synthetic" often is made from 100% petro, and even if it was truely non-petro -true synthetic oil . . it lubes no better then petro oil. True synthetic has higher heat durability (Flash Point) and a more stable viscosity over a wide temp range. It does not lube better.

If affected by oil choice the additive package and viscosity will be the determining factor.

There is no cost-effective way to "rebuild" hydraulic lifters. I assume the engine rebuild place just cleans up the old ones - but cleaning cannot restore metal-to-metal tolerances.

A hydraulic lifter is a little hydraulic piston in a cylinder bore. If worn or scored - cleaning does nothing.

I know Nissan had complaints about hydraulic lifter noise in many 3 liter V6s. It had something to do with an inconsistent oil supply to the lifter and the Nissan fix was to change to a new style hydraulic lifter. Chances are the lifter noise will never hurt a thing if not excessive (and the engine isn't skipping). My Subaru has done it, off an on, for 220,000 miles. That being said - if you wanted to fix it . . I'd make d*mn sure I got my hands on the updated Nissan lifters with the improved oil flow. Nissan # 13231-V5005.

no wonder the lifters were making noise--as soon as I changed the oil, the faulty oil filter started dumping it on the ground; ran at idle maybe half a minute one day, then not more than a minute the next before I noticed it--I didn't drive it, just started it to see if the lifters would quiet down if I got the oil circulating, then looked underneath as I usually do to check for leaks--wow; put the old filter back on and no problem; I had to add 3-3.5 quarts, though, but as soon as I did, no lifter noise (just a bit at startup)--so I'm assuming not harm done?