Toyota wire guage...

mr.wolfie

Since this is a Toyota forum, and Toyota is all metric, when we talk wiring, is it American Wire Gauge or Standard Wire Gauge? :closedeyes: Just something that came across my mind after tracking down ALL the wiring in my wife's new 87 Mini-Cruiser... including the "Protech Electronic Rust Inhibitor"... yep, it's still there... and (finally) realizing that the converter/charger doesn't give the RV 110 power from 12v, only the other way around... but I know where the wires are! Oh! the breaker box has a green main, but the red and blue are what exactly? Is one for the fridge and the other for outlets?

Since this is a Toyota forum, and Toyota is all metric, when we talk wiring, is it American Wire Gauge or Standard Wire Gauge? :closedeyes: Just something that came across my mind after tracking down ALL the wiring in my wife's new 87 Mini-Cruiser... including the "Protech Electronic Rust Inhibitor"... yep, it's still there... and (finally) realizing that the converter/charger doesn't give the RV 110 power from 12v, only the other way around... but I know where the wires are! Oh! the breaker box has a green main, but the red and blue are what exactly? Is one for the fridge and the other for outlets?

I assume when I see "gauge" mentioned it is AWG, regardless if USA, Canada, British, or metric. The British Standard Wire Gauge (SWG) has been near obsolete for a long time. It seemed to go the same way as British Whitworth bolt sizes and wrenches. I've got stacks of British repair manuals from the late 1950s up to the 70s and none mention SWG in them. Usually AWG or the wire size is expressed in mms (for the diameter). My Toyota factory wire-schematic books don't mention wire size at all which is odd.

Green is usually ground in the panel, blue is from the converter and red from the battery. Do not hold that as 100% correct. The wiring on the other side of the fuses seems to be what they had on hand. The wire gauge is matched to load requirements.

I assume when I see "gauge" mentioned it is AWG, regardless if USA, Canada, British, or metric. The British Standard Wire Gauge (SWG) has been near obsolete for a long time. It seemed to go the same way as British Whitworth bolt sizes and wrenches.

Interesting, I've had to deal with both measurements when ordering stainless steel wire rings for making chainmaille from Canada, had no idea SWG was actually getting uncommon... good to know! This thread can probably be deleted or at least moved... doesn't really add much to the electrical forum, just couldn't resist saying something when the thought crossed my mind (blame 3rd shift... and wires that change colors 5 times in a single run...)

AWG is what you'll find in the Toyhouse.

As for the breakers, this depends on who made your converter box. Mine didn't have a "main" breaker. My red one for the Air Conditioner, Most Toyhouses are wired for an A/C unit, even thou they don't have one. The Blue one was for outlets.

ORIGINAL

no main breaker, panel wired directly to shore power cable.

Red - 20a - Air Conditioner circuit

Blue - 15a - outlets

When I upgraded my converter, I also modified my circuit breakers to be a little more useful. and rewired it so it now has a main. This is how mine is wired now.

MODIFIED

MAIN 20 amp RED (shore power cable)
#1 15 amp - 12 Volt Power Converter
#2 15 amp - Air Conditioner
#3 15 amp - Outlets right side (including Frig)
#4 15 amp - Outlets Kitchen and Sofa

You can see the circuit breakers in these photos

Converter Upgrade

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto