What locking gas cap fits an '82 Sunrader 18'

Stevo

Does anyone know what size locking gas cap will fit an 82 Sunrader 18'er? I could be wrong but I'm thinking a gas cap for a 31 year old motorhome might not appear in a normal auto parts store catalog so I'm asking here. The existing gas cap doesn't fit properly so its not like I can hand it to someone at the auto parts store and ask for the same thing but locking.

Thank you.

Does anyone know what size locking gas cap will fit an 82 Sunrader 18'er? I could be wrong but I'm thinking a gas cap for a 31 year old motorhome might not appear in a normal auto parts store catalog so I'm asking here. The existing gas cap doesn't fit properly so its not like I can hand it to someone at the auto parts store and ask for the same thing but locking.

Thank you.

I assume your Sunrader has the OEM Toyota filler neck. If so, it takes a Stant # 10583 or a Gates # 31671. Locking fuel caps tend to be generic and often don't fit as snug as a conventional cap.

• 5 months later...

Well I've tried 10 different locking gas caps so far (seriously!) for my 82 Sunrader, including the two you mentioned, and none of them fit! Since I'm starting on gutting the interior anyway, which means I can access the gas hose and vent, I wonder how difficult it would be to change out the gas filler thingee for something that works with a locking gas cap?

What prompted me to get going on this again is because I went to start my Sunrader for the first time in months (cuz I was doing the axle swap) and discovered someone had emptied my gas tank!

I just checked Rock Auto (thank you) and except for one that I haven't tried yet (MOTORAD Part # MGC783) they show the same caps that I already know won't lock on my 82 Sunrader because the part of the cap that goes in the filler is too narrow. I'm actually wondering if the filler thing is worn out on my Sunrader and maybe thats why nothing will lock down on it?? After tomorrow when I get my rear axle ubolt brackets replaced and put the shocks back on I'll be able to drive it to a NAPA and try a ton of different locking gas caps in the parking lot. If I need to replace the filler thing, any idea where I would find a replacement? Junkyard?

Yeah, you can replace the filler tube if you think that's the issue. Hard to say from over here on the Internet. Not having mine in front of me right now I can't say for sure if the filler tube and threaded end are one piece or two...so verify that before buying something if you go that route.

I would check it out before spending any more on caps. You should be able to see if its screwed up.

Mine is not in great shape, but its good enough that it locks. I can easily see the damage on mine.

I assume the motorhome manufacturers ordered from Toyota the truck cab with the just chassis sticking out behind, right? And if so, does that mean the fuel filler tube was there sticking up from the chassis or did the motorhome manufacturers add their own filler tube later?

Zach - I keep the receipts and return the gas caps that don't fit. :-)

Karin - Thats a great idea about using calipers and they are cheap at Harbor Freight and eBay so I'm going to get some right away.

• 3 weeks later...

The flange that the gas cap screws down on was too worn out to accomodate any of the locking gas caps I tried. So I bought a used fuel filler neck from a local junkyard for $25 for the same year Toyota truck and took it to Napa and right away they had a locking gas cap that fit! Yay...finally!