New "Inverter" microwaves in an RV with no generator

zero

If anyone has tried to use a microwave oven and had problems this might interest you. Conventional microwaves regardless of size and expressed wattage tend to draw the same max current. They just cycle on and off to make low heat. I tested several small 700 watt microwaves at the lowest power settting and they still drew the same 13 - 14 amps of current (1700 watts) as do large 1500 watt microwaves.

I've met many people who have had problems running any size microwave off an inverter and batteries in their RVs. Some work OK IF the engine is running and revved up and some do not.

Panasonic has come out with a microwave that uses a different technology. They market it as an "inverter" microwave. I was skeptical but bought one to try out. I'm impressed! It actualy does what they say it does. Steady currrent draw and heat at any setting. This type of microwave can work MUCH better in an RV if using an inverter.

Here's some tests I ran on a new .8 cubic foot model. It has 10 power levels with 10 being the most heat.

I ran it from a 2000 watt inverter and two RV batteries up to power level 8 with no issues. To use power level 10 I had to start the RV engine. With the engine idling the RV worked great.

The reason why I can't run over power level 8 is the DC voltage input drops below 11 volts. Two 115 AH batteries is not enough to run past #8 without the engine alternator adding some extra power.

Power level 1 – drew a max amps of 5.2 but mostly 3.8 amps

Power level 5 – drew 7 amps (840 watts).

Power level 10 – drew 12.9 amps (1550 watts).

• 1 month later...

once in a while I see this product

http://www.buy.com/prod/wavebox-microwave-dc-only-starter-kit/232429477.html?listingId=221303644

for under 100$ like an old model

thats not to say its the right thing but its the right size and its dc. I think you need to see that microwave combined with the inverter one and then you finally have a battery operated microwave.