The $180 Cargo carrier that will house dang near anything

harbor freight cargo with coupon $80. suncast deck box from Target online via Speedy rewards (so i get free gas) mall, $100.

Total cost $180.

6500 rewards points gained at speedy and 300 points onto my credit cardx rewards program. sweeet.

almost fit without modification, however i did have to drill out a couple (4) rivets which took 2 seconds as they were aluminum...

NICE...

both scooters fit into their new garage perfectly.

and for my next feet, i will be turning my older cargo carrier into a vertical kayak carrier like the one posted a few days ago.

post-4814-0-15697000-1351724744_thumb.jp

post-4814-0-45060600-1351725494_thumb.jp

post-4814-0-44539500-1351725536_thumb.jp

the suncast box is quite lightweight and assembled in roughly 10 minutes; no tools. I am not crazy about the blue color; i will probably try painting it with plastic paint to be white also.

Looking at the photo that is taken straight on it sure does block the visibility of your tail lights. Are you planning on adding trailer lights to the Harbor Freight basket?

No. Not until the lawman makes me. Its not like I am out there changing lanes to pass people or slamming on my breaks because I am tailgating someone at 85 mph.

I drove cross country with things completely covering the ladder and left tail lights and was passed by several law officers and not one pulled me over.

I have seen people move lights around higher up etc so if I were going to do something I would probably do that rather than add lights to the basket; the basket has reflectors. I believe the easiest solution will be to either do nothing or maybe use some riser lights. until it bugs my OCD (which is does not right now) I will probably just roll with it as is. Its hard to tell from the picture but the unit is offset right of center on a bumper mounted 2 inch receiver making the left turn signal much more visible to a passing vehicle. The extreme right and left most brake lights shine visibly no problem and I think a truck driver will be looking down on this and seeing things just fine. I am taking it on its maiden test trip this weekend and will report back results.

One more thing to add about the Suncast box shown; it has wheels (shown in 3rd picture) :-). This means it can be loaded up and dragged to the rear of the vehicle and raised in.

Not a bad little setup.

I installed LED trailer lights onto the cargo holder that I put on my RV. I have a tool box on the carrier and it makes it more difficult to see the MH lights. If you get rear-ended because your lights were even a little obstructed, you may have a hard time collecting from the other guy's insurance company. I know that I am paranoid about my lights but for me it is better to be safe than sorry. I got the LED lights for $25, a tail light converter for $15 and I had the wiring. For $40 I have super bright LED tail lights. I also readjusted my brake light switch so that the lights go on if I touch the brake pedal. If anyone tailgates me, I touch the pedal and they back off.

Well got back from a short trip where I drafted a Swift truck and got chastised by the forum for doing so. In any event the 180 Cargo carrier was brilliant. It more than easily held my gear, luggage, roll up extension cord, a rocking horse for my nephew and more crap. I had room to spare. The inside of my rig seems empty; I could walk around, sit in chairs heck I actually ate lunch in the dinette area. Love it.

I agree that having a box on the back is very handy. I will always have mine there when I travel. I frees up the inside of some of the stuff that we carry.

You can draft if you like but not behind me. I will definitely slow down until you pass me. I still think that you are being a hazard on the road, but you don't seem to mind.

ok ok, Bob... let it go. Technically we all are hazards to the road driving these overweight missing most of todays modern era safety (such as airbags, ABS, advanced suspension, vehicle sonar, reliable headlights,) things. I dont think 61 is crazy; but I'll not draft anymore just for you. It was more of an experiment and I was by myself.

Nothing is strong enough to keep me from stealing your things if I want to... It's fit form and function is : affordable, lightweight huge enough to fit scooters and waterproof. Weld up some 10 gauge steel box or get a small safe if you want security. Of course, your bumper will fall off. I have the second amendment and shepherds watching my harder to replace things inside, things that go in this I won't lose sleep over; even the scooters.

Nothing is strong enough to keep me from stealing your things if I want to... It's fit form and function is : affordable, lightweight huge enough to fit scooters and waterproof. Weld up some 10 gauge steel box or get a small safe if you want security. Of course, your bumper will fall off. I have the second amendment and shepherds watching my harder to replace things inside, things that go in this I won't lose sleep over; even the scooters.

Oh, I know that, but the more of a deterrent I have, the better off I'll be. I park on city streets in places like South Philly and Baltimore, and I have to leave the vehicle to go to work, so I need her to be as secure as possible when I'm not around her.

Yikes Philly... The military has an ops theory called profile; the more hardened or mighty looking a target is the more fire it tends to draw.

The same may apply to the cargo unit..

. A heavily fortified box screams " there's goodies in me" a deck box says " yeah my folding camp chairs from Wally World are dry.

South Philly is no big deal...I grew up in inner city Detroit. Problem in places like that is that kids f*(% with stuff just because they're bored. So, it has to be at the very least juvenile delinquent-proof. They"ll mess with a tank if its parked in one spot long enough. I can't be with the vehicle 24/7, so I have to protect her the best I can.

post-4814-0-53491600-1352728403_thumb.jp

post-4814-0-17171700-1352728431_thumb.jp

If I was a kid the first target I would mess with would be an unguarded tanks also, because hey, its a tank. So sweet; reminds me of an old James Garner movie.

If you are going to joy ride something and risk jail a nice Abrams would definitely give you half a shot of making it a day or two before being killed.

Update on Cargo Carrier construction # 2. I took my inspiration from another post someone showed of a professional and expensive unit.

My solution: a nice $69 steel cargo carrier (my old one that the scooters bent). I reverse the support shaft so it would have positive arch by unbolting it flipping it and rebolting it. I also welded its 2 inch adapter to it so there would be no slop. I then angle grinder cut 3 sections of wire basket out of it. Finally I used some Military Foam Splint roll (I LOVE this stuff) to wrap around the cargo carrier frame as a padding. The stuff is basically a dooble ply sheet of foam that has aluminum sheet inside and holds the shape of what you mold it to. I then wrapped electrical tape over the new padding that the boats set into. Total cost $69 carrier + 8 bucks in splint.

I drove it 20 miles into work today for a bench test. Truck ran GREAT and much more aerodynamic that the days of strapping them on the roof. I am ready for deer camp... we will be floating into state lands...

Karin Corbin inspired me to stick on magnetic trailer lights on this one. (cant with aluminum one)

looks like i will be adding some road protection on the bottom made from welding on half of a galvanized air duct on each area...