'90 Odyssey with 12V issues

jack  sturges

Well if every thing works plugged in you can rule out fuses etc. So bad/dead battery, charger not working, poor connections pretty much need to look at every thing that has any thing to do with the coach battery. With out tools and a volt meter you just have to eye ball every thing and check connections.

Not sure what you have for a converter/charger but the older ones had a change over relay that some times caused issues such as you described. I think the newer converters had a 30 amp fuse for house power you might have a look there.

Jack - A battery with no load will sometimes float to its max voltage. Reconnect the battery, turn truck off, unplug shore power, turn on one or two lights in the coach and read the voltage again. Take voltage readings on the coach battery (turn on a couple lights inside to put a small load on the battery)

1) No truck, no shore power.

2) Truck running, no shore power.

3) shore power, no truck running.

What year and model is your toyhouse?

I assume your frig does an auto changeover thing between propane and 110 volts when its plugged into shore power. Mine does not, I must manually switch it so I can't help to much.

Also not sure what the "Battery Charger Light" is, my converter didn't have any light.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Hi

In my rig, I have two circuit breakers located inside the coach battery house. They are both 30 amp and are push in - pop out types. See if they are "pushed in" meaning they are allowing the circuit to be completed. If they are out, and need resetting (being "pushed in") that means they have tripped (meaning there has been an over draw of current (more than 30 amps of power) - look for the cause of this, a short circuit, dead short, short to ground, what ever you want to call it.

i would try to find an owners manual online for your converter charger. i had one once in a tent trailer that was very strange, it worked but not like i thought it should. it had a light on it when it was charging as i remember. it also had a couple of switches on it, they never did make sense to me but i would flip them until it was doing what i wanted it to do. didn't own it long enough to figure it out totally.

Found info on my converter online. It has the progressive battery charger but no 30 amp brkr. My house battery was actually only 10.6 volts, so im charging it.

I now have bigger issues. I went to start the 3.0 & it fired & died. Now it wont start!

Take off one of the spark plug high tension wires and install a spare sparkplug in this wire.

Have someone to help you do this next step,

Put the rig in neutral, put emergency brake on full.

Have your helper, on your command, start the engine.

Before you issue the command, position yourself in front of the engine, hood up and with the high tension wire in your hand, place the sparkplug close to but not touching the frame or other grounding points.

When you are ready issue the command to start the engine.

What should happen, if the coil and other ignition components are okay, is there should be a spark jumping from the tip of the spare plug to the grounding point (frame or engine) and that means the ignition system should not be the issue.

If you are holding the sparkplug to far away from the frame or grounding point, the spark may not be strong enough to jump that distance and you may have to move the sparkplug closer, till it establishes that circuit and begins sparking.

To be clear in your notes to us, you said it fired, and died. Does this mean the engine starter engaged and spun the motor, or it spun the motor and fired and then quit, more precise details please.

Brian

i had a coil go out once many years ago. it just quit without warning. check for spark at the plugs. holding it without being fully insulated from it will result in a very uncomfortable feeling that could put you on the ground not so gently. the only thing you will be sure of when you come to is that there is a spark going there from the coil, ie coil is still good. spark, fuel and timing, the three things to evetually check if it won't start. the above order is the easiest and cheapest. after i check out those three i call AAA and get it towed to someone who can go beyond that. as brian asked, need to know more exactly what happened. started, ran for a second or two then died? fired but never started? backfire when it died? sounded like you turned of the key as it shut off? nothing happening after it died as far as fireing when trying again, assume turning over fine. running out of fuel usually causes sputtering before dieing. you'll fix it!