Sunrader Roof Rack

snail powered

Next week I will be working up on the roof of my 1980 Sunrader scraping off the massive amount of fibered roof sealant the previous owner slathered onto the base of the roof rack mounts as well as all around the base of the vents. It will be a job of many hours to get that mess cleaned off. I swear it must be a half inch or more thick rather than the recommended 1/8" thickness. He put it on so thick it was running down the sides of the rig from the base of the roof rack.

I was wondering what I will find under that goop? How does the roof rack attach to the roof? I am not planning to get rid of the rack so I need to figure out what supplies I need to have on hand for the job. It does not appear to be leaking but will I want to remove the rack and rebed it?

Also where did the antenna wire come out of the coach and attach to the rack? I don't see any wires up there. But there is one hole in the roof towards the back end that has fibered compound mounded over it. And also a previous owner installed a FM antenna on the roof. Not sure if they used the hole that used to be the TV antenna.

Can anyone help me out with a photo or two of what this roof rack and TV antenna stuff should look like when properly installed and weather sealed?

41 days in Seattle with no rain and no rain in sight for the next 10 days. We might well break the previous record of 51 days in a row with no rain. Could not ask for a better boost from Mother Nature to help me get my recently acquired Sunrader ready for the winter.

The toy homes are out in force in my Seattle neighborhood of Ballard this weekend. I spotted a late 1970's tiny Toyota Dolphin, 16 foot perhaps? Looks like a child's toy compared to my 18' Sunrader. They are here boon docking. The industrial part of my neighborhood attracts the boon dockers as they are allowed to stay there on the streets at night for up to 72 hours in the same spot. Unless that is the local property owner requested the no parking from 2 to 5 am signs be put in front of their business.

Thanks in advance,

Karin

Edited by Derek up North