9000 Mile Summer Trip

dolphindriver

Because I am a teacher (and slightly touched in the head) we decided to take our Dolphin (22 ft with 4 cylinder 22 re), my wife, and seven year old son on a long cross country trip this summer.

9000 miles

MPG 14.4 (note – tried to go at least 62 mph most of the time. Truck a/c was always on. Either the water tank or the black/grey water tanks were always close to full.) Had two bikes on the back

Only saw 4 other Toys (or Nissans) on the entire trip.

Started in Palm Springs, CA – went to Utah then dropped down to I-40 through to Tennessee. Then up to Washington, DC, Philly, New York, and Boston. Went up to the Muskoka area in Ontario, Canada. Then back to Chicago, Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone (we came in via the Bear Claw Highway at 10,800 feet – great road) and back to Palm Springs.

Dolphin ran great. Only problem was a leaking extension on the inside rear dually. I only caught it by doing a thump test on the tires in the morning, otherwise it could have been a mess. I highly recommend taking off the extension on all 4 rear tires if they are original. This is the second extension that leaked on my Dolphin.

Pretty amazed the Dolphin made the trip so well.

Thanks to this website for helping me get the motor home ready.

sounds like it was quite a trip. once my wife retires we would like to do an extended drive around the states. how long were you on the road? how many miles on the motor when you started the trip? could be very encouraging to many of us with these new old toys when it comes to planning extended drives. a few others have done some long drives too and always good to hear about how well these little toys do.

Thanks for sharing, and yes, our little Toy's are amazing! They are not for everyone, but those that keep them, and use them regularly know, we are a special breed driving a special little vehicle. Continued happy travels!

I have an 89 Dolphin that only had 35,000 miles on it before I left.

There are pros and cons for a vehicle with such low mileage - mine had been sitting for quite a while before I bought it. I had to replace all the vacuum lines, several electrical lines were chewed by rodents, and many things in the camper part needed to be replaced (all faucets, heater fan, both water heater and refrigerator needed to be worked on, the generator's carburerator was gunked up from lack of use). If I had a choice, I would have picked a higher mileage unit that was used and maintained on a regular basis over a low mileage unit that had stored like mine was.

In either case you do have to be prepared to drive with the flasher on going up hill or into a head wind with all the other vehicles passing you on the interstates with speed limits of 75 and 80 mph.

That sounds like a fabulous trip. I'm jealous! I have several teacher relatives and I've always felt they waste so much of their summers. My wife and I would love to be able to take an extended trip like that. Where did you stay mostly? Did u do it with as little $ as possible? We would like hear more if you get time.

• 4 weeks later...

We did 12,000 kms this summer - 9 weeks. That's approx. 7440 miles. From Vancouver Island to Ontario and return. We lost a hub off the back tire - outside dually - and got a stone chip on the windshield on the way over. No other problems, except when our frig door opened in Kamloops, causing a little radio to slide off and smash. Frig locking problem finally got 'fixed' at our son-in-law's shop (Turn Key Auto in Kitchener) immediately upon our arrival there.

Approx. 2,000 kms swanning around S. Ont. from Barrie to Kitchener, Waterloo, Burlington, Kincardine, Sauble Beach, etc., up to Haliburton and back, over a few times visiting relatives and friends. Thinking it over, we would have visited everyone once then continued on east.

We loved it and didn't really want to come home

Suzanne & Ron in Toy Rig