Do NOT buy gasoline in NW Indiana

Derek up North

From another Forum:-

Specifically do not buy any regular unleaded gas in Lake, Porter, and Laporte counties of Indiana. BP is shutting down various stations of all brands in these three counties that received fuel shipments between last Monday and last Friday.

People are reporting problems all over the area and the car dealers are making big bucks overcharging people for plugs, wires, etc, plus draining tanks. All of this is over a contaminated fuel problem coming out of the BP refinery in Whiting, Indiana. This affects all fuel brands in the area as BP supplies almost all fuel here no matter what brand it is sold under.

They have not determined exactly which stations are affected. If you are traveling through the area, stop for fuel in St.Joe county (South Bend) and anywhere east of South Bend across the state. Also southern Michigan stations are not affected. All of those northern central Indiana and southern Michigan stations get their fuel from the Niles, Michigan terminals.

BP is not stating what exactly the problem is, but from the mechanics I talked to it looks like they mixed too much craponol in the gasoline. Niles, Michigan gets their fuel from BP via a pipe. Craponol mixed fuel can not be shipped by pipeline and there is no craponol mixing facilities in Niles.

One mechanic I talked to said the symptoms are very similar to what happens when idiots put e-85 in a vehicle that can not handle it. I asked him to save me some fuel if he gets in another one to drain the tanks. I want to test it myself for craponol content.

I live nearby there and to me the saddest part of this is the lack of quality control AND regulation.

For one the refinery is supposed to do quality testing and for two several US government agencies are also supposed to do testing on fuel.

This tells me that as usual the oil giants get a pass and aren't really being regulated at all yet we pay an extra tax for just that type of quality control.

Hence I am even more happy that my daily driver is a pre-chambered diesel. If a little bit of whatever gets in the diesel it wont be nearly the disaster a bad gas mix would be.

I have even read stories of people running merc diesels on straight motor oil; stinky and black exhausty but effective.