While investigating my friends low compression problem on number 3 cylinder, I heard something troubling. A couple of mechanics said that this was a typical problem with the Toyota 3 liter V6. I always thought that this engine was "bullet proof". Any one ever hear about this? I also wonder if there's any harm in running the engine with one cylinder at 50 psi. Is there a difference between the auto V6 and the one used in the trucks?

Thanks

These engines are bulletproof, usually never burn a valve until after 200,000 or so and that I have not seen often. If it has only 50 psi it will be missing at idle speed. If only runs rough after a hard run check for the egr valve hanging open.

I don't know if I would go so far as to claim they are bulletproof, personal experience rebuilding a 90 4 runner 3VZE was anything but fun. After doing a lot of reading and searching regarding these engines it was apparent that the spun rod bearings in the 90 I did was not an uncommon thing, many accounts of the same problem around the net, with mileage numbers close to the same 100,000 range give or take and just out of the blue for no apparent reason.

They are hard to work on, have valve problems, especially on #6 because of the poor design of the exhaust, not much better in power than the 22RE, nothing to write home about for fuel mileage, and just not one of Toyota's better designs, which from what I understand was the reason it was discontinued after not a long production run compared to other Toyota engines.

Lotta people have them, lotta people love them, I just never have ran into them to find out why.