1987 Dolphin Won't Start, At Shop for 6 Weeks!

Any help would be so appreciated. I have a 1987 Toyota Dolphin with about 54,000 miles. I have owned it for a few months and it has run flawlessly. Six weeks ago I went to start it, it ran for 30 seconds and died out. After that, it would just turn over but not start. I had it towed to my mechanics where it has been for almost 6 weeks. He is about to throw in the towel. He had checked the fuel pump, the igniter (sp?), changed the computer (twice!) and still, cannot get it to start. Said he has checked everything, has someone new coming in today or tomorrow to look at it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you so much!

There is only two things I know that can cause an engine not to fire. Spark or gas. Fuel injectors that are bad or clogged might be the underlying problem. You may want to check them to see if there is gas in each cylinder. It's fairly easy to check spark. Could be a bad coil. Work your way through each system until you locate the problem. I've seen fuel injecting systems deteriorate over time due to water in the filters. The ethanol fuel causes build up of water in the system. I add marine foam or high octane fuel injector cleaner to a full tank of gas every 5 to 10 fill ups on my 22R with a carb to keep this from happening. It is common in many vehicles today to experience this problem which alone accounts for billions of tax payers dollars to go into repairs that would not happen if there was no alcohol added to the gas. You can thank your congressmen and senators for this which is also subsidized by the tax payers at over $4 billion a year. It cost 1.5 time more to produce ethanol than gas and you get less performance. Good luck and hopefully this will get you started and running smoothly.

Couple thoughts

IGNITION

Pull one of the plugs, using a rubber glove and pliers, hold it against the engine and crank the engine, you should see it spark.

Long Shot - Its possible that the timing chain has jumped or stripped, pop the distributor cap off and watch the rotor as someone cranks, you should see it rotate. Important, just because it rotates doesn't mean it hasn't jumped timing. check the timing marks on the crank, and look at the distributor, when your at TDC. the rotor should be looking at plug #1 or #4.. Normally if the timing has jumped or stripped, the engine will crank funny with maybe a backfire.

If you don't have a spark, check the coil, distributor sensor, and the control box.

FUEL

If it looks like you have spark, then a quick and easy check for fuel is this;

Pop the big hose off the intake manifold, hold the throttle plate open and squirt about 3 - 5 seconds of starter fluid in the intake. Push the hose back on real quick and start the engine. If it starts for a second or two then dies back out, you have a fuel problem.

Check fuel injector computer and fuses. The fuel pressure regulator could also cause this.

Although its very rare, especially with a low mileage engine, it is possible the time chain / gears could have stripped / jumped.

Hope this gives you a couple ideas to look at.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

fuel, spark timinng, even the model A started that way. must be something unusual for a mechanic with all the toys they have these days not to find. maybe old school will find the answer or the "guy" coming in to look will find it with a fresh brain. good luck.

Never seen a 22RE timing chain jump seen them trash the timing case but never jump time. Early 20R's had distributors seize and rip the gear off but not the 22RE's He said it had fuel what was the pressure? It needs to be around 35 PSI not just gas running out of a fitting. Spark is pretty much a no brainer either has it at the plugs (not just the coil) or it doesn't. A noid light or a voltmeter should be able to tell if the injectors are firing. When the engine is cold the cold start injector in the end of the manifold should operate it should fire even if there is injector issues but not continue to run. Has the fuel filter ever been changed? Is there water in the fuel? It's a pretty simple engine in 6 weeks they should have been able to completely rebuilt it top to bottom. Is the piping between the mass air flow box and the manifold sound no leaks? These are thing they should have checked by now have they ever seen a 22RE? With in an hour they should have been able to tell you what was wrong with it. They have my vote of no confidence!

I tend to agree with Maineah,

Unless this is a friend whos doing this on their free time, or something like that.

I didn't think of a tank full of water, yup, that would do it. A good squirt of starting fluid (either) will tell you if you have a fuel problem.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

fire that guy.

well first off you can tell if its spark or fuel.

not both. no random replacement of parts in both systems.

So ask the mechanic, is the problem spark, or is it fuel?

If he doesnt answer, hes fired. oooo what does he want to be paid if he had your car for 6 weeks and he didnt get to step one of the troubleshooting guide?

From there you can figure it out a lot faster on a forum

the 22re is after all the most common engine on the road in the united states.

You could hire 10 people from a local labor ready that would figure out whats wrong with your truck in 20 minutes.

if it is spark another annoying non error code part is the ballast resistor on the passenger side of the firewall.

it DOES sound to me like the fuel pump like someone suggested earlier.

and if he "checked" it as working, but didnt "check" if it had enough pressure like the also suggested before me thatsa common way they go.

so ask him, what is the fuel pressure, what is the number write it down on this peice of paper right here or Ive got to get my car out of here.

This guys taking you for a lot for nothing dont waste any more time or hell try to rob you.

I agree with the replies, these motors are not techological wonders, they ae basic "old school." Fuel, and spark. If ya have both, they are not firing in the right order. If your mechanic cant figure that out, time to find a new one? Good luck!

IF

you have pressure up to the fuel regulator

and still no fuel

It can be the dme. I have seen that. but we still need to see step one, is it Fuel?

if its fuel I think its an easier step up. yet we got replacement of dme, igniter, so is he saying he has decided its spark?

I for one am not paying anyone in american dollars who is replacing parts at random.

is he just going:" well toy trucks the igniter goes so lets test that... sometimes the dme goes ( ALMOST NEVER) so lets replace that?"

Thats what a retarded shadetree mechanic would do trying to gamble on a quick fix. also charging you for these parts.

ask him what the fuel pressure is at the regulator. when you try to crank it do you smell fuel? If he cant answer theres nothing else friendly to say you have to make plans to get your car out of there and see what he wants to charge you for doing nothing.

Its a loser