Just got home from our first trip in our '90 Odyssey.

For the most part it ran beautifully. i actually managed 16 mpg which is a bit better than I had hoped for. There is one issue, however that has me concerned.

The engine has an intermittent stumbled at cruising speeds. It feels to me like a fuel issue as opposed to spark. I say this because it doesn't feel like a hard miss, more like I was intermittently lifting off the throttle. I suspect (hope) that it is a clogged fuel filter, but, I would think that such a problem would get steadily worse. This doesn't. It comes and goes in waves.

Also, I get a similar stumbling regularly at throttle tip as when pulling away from a light or leaving a parking lot. This has me thinking maybe a TPS issue.

BTW, it has 120K. Last fall I did the valve clearance maintenance. A number of exhaust valves were getting very tight. I had the shims ground at a machine shop and slapped it all back together. I was worried that I might have been a little late to save them, but, getting quite decent mpg for a V-6 has me thinking that all is well. I plan on doing a comp test when I get a chance. I did one before the maintenance and a few cylinders were quite low. Forget the actual numbers, but, they weren't too good.

Pete

Sounds like you are on the right track, I added a vacume gauge and tack, sometimes it could be the fan clutch or locking torque converter giving one the fell of something changing. I had the heads off and wouldn't wish that on anyone with the eng in the veh. How did you get several shims out with out removing the cams, my experience was if a shim was removed it couldn't be rotated without the the cam hitting the side of the bucket without the shim in?, I had one tight and used plate glass and valve grinding compound to take it down, toyota price is $13 for one shim. Whats BTW? Tom

Didn't know there was anybody on the interwebs that didn't know what BTW was.

To answer your question about the shims, I didn't. Went ahead and yanked the cams. Sure glad I did. I had the shims ground at a local shop. It was much cheaper and quicker than waiting on new ones. A vac guage is a good idea. I was planning on getting a tranny temp gauge. Maybe I will get a 3 gauge pack. Vac, tranny and maybe oil pressure.

An easy thing to check is your connection to your mass air flow- if it is loose it can cause what you describe. I am talking about the wiring harness that connects to your air filter housing. Just a guess but easy to check.

Just got home from our first trip in our '90 Odyssey.

For the most part it ran beautifully. i actually managed 16 mpg which is a bit better than I had hoped for. There is one issue, however that has me concerned.

The engine has an intermittent stumbled at cruising speeds. It feels to me like a fuel issue as opposed to spark. I say this because it doesn't feel like a hard miss, more like I was intermittently lifting off the throttle. I suspect (hope) that it is a clogged fuel filter, but, I would think that such a problem would get steadily worse. This doesn't. It comes and goes in waves.

Also, I get a similar stumbling regularly at throttle tip as when pulling away from a light or leaving a parking lot. This has me thinking maybe a TPS issue.

BTW, it has 120K. Last fall I did the valve clearance maintenance. A number of exhaust valves were getting very tight. I had the shims ground at a machine shop and slapped it all back together. I was worried that I might have been a little late to save them, but, getting quite decent mpg for a V-6 has me thinking that all is well. I plan on doing a comp test when I get a chance. I did one before the maintenance and a few cylinders were quite low. Forget the actual numbers, but, they weren't too good.

Pete

by disconnect the hose, I assume you mean the vacuum hose that controls it?

if disconnecting it solves the issue, should I just leave it disconnected? will it cause a CE light?

Yes just the hose should not set a code.