Going Solar

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and new to rving so I thought you all can help me with something.

I have an 87 winnie with no generator. Can I power my electricals with batteries? If so, how and can I recharge them by solar?

Thanks!

The big question is how much electrics? Lights water pump OK for a few days. Solar would help it would keep the battery up during the day with out much power usage. Standard lights use a good bit of power switching to LED's makes a huge difference you can use 12 or more LED's and still not use the same power as one bulb. Accumulator tank for the water pump saves a good deal of power by reducing pump cycling. The trouble starts with TV's, DVD's, inverters and house hold stuff.

i think you should have a house battery somewhere, accessible from and vented to the outside. it should charge while driving or plugged into shore power. there are solar panels available to act as chargers for 12 volt batteries with different capabilities as far as how long it would take to charge a battery. on some of the untits there are two batteries under the hood, one for starting and one to run the 12 volt items in the coach. regardless of where it would charge while driving or plugged into shore power. once the coach battery is charged, or replaced :o), you should be able to run all of your 12 volt items listed above. enjoy your new toy.