My new Addition! 18ft Sunrader

Here's my new (to me) 18ft SUNRADER (22R rebuilt & new clutch).

Just picked it up, had it for 2 days, then off to the propane test today so that I can put better insurance on it.

Doesn't have the full-floating in the rear, but I've read/heard that it wasn't really a big deal with the 18ft models. Is this true? If need be, is the recall still valid (in Canada)?

Everything is original, and everything works! Very well-kept unit, except for the mothballs they used during storage! Does anyone know how to get the smell of mothballs out?

If anyone is looking to purchase, I suggest that you read the forums here; they're invaluable. Also, find out exactly what is required to license the vehicle. I've had one surprise after another in regards to this (even after doing research and making calls), and will have spent close to $500 to get this thing 'legal' (plates, sticker, safety, gas/appliance inspect, appraisal, used car package, taxes, etc...)

Don't ask what I paid, it was a lot. But, in all honesty, it was appraised for over $10,000!!! From what I've read, and the research I've done, it is well worth it (the $$$).

Since this picture was taken, I've replaced the antenna, the house battery, and I've installed a new, CD/MP3 deck & new speakers, and a wireless back-up camera (a steal @ Wal-Mart for $90). I'm ready to install the new plugs and wires I bought this past weekend, and everything else I've got stashed around the house from the pre-purchase shopping blitz!

If anyone has any questions or comments, I'll gladly respond!

post-822-1176777826_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lextasy Sunrader

Welcome Lextassy Sunrader.

Sweet loking rig you've got there. Sounds like a good one ! Far as the dual thing goes, I would check with a dealer too make sure they will replace the axle . I think replacing the axle with a heaver one is a good safety choice. I think there was a post on the board here a while back about who to call to get an axle assembly sent to a dealer to have it replaced. Let me do some lookin' and see what I can come up with !

Okay, I'm back! It was stickyed at the top of the drivetrain forum-I'll give ya a linky

http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/files/Axle_FAQ.pdf

good readin' there.

Hi Lextasy Sunrader. Congrats on your purchase - you will love this rig! We have an 18 foot Sunrader we bought a couple of years ago and have really enjoy it. The axle issue is a important one in that the original cab and chassis that Gardner Pacific used for the motorhome was rated at somewhere around 4600 pounds GVW and most of these size rigs will go a little over 5000 pounds. How many miles has your rig got on it? If it has gone over 50,000 miles or so and had no axle problems you are probably OK. But a good source now for the full floaters are junkyards - look for a Toyota 1 ton truck with dual wheels. They can be found and the rear end can sometimes purchased for way less than a new one. What year is your Rader? Ours is a 1982 - an oldie but goodie. And welcome to this site - Greg and the gang are fantastic!

I don't think the 18' was recalled, but this is not fact. One thing about replacing rear axles that ppl don't mention is the fact that one rim will fit all... meaning one spare tire for both rear and front flats.. tho this will require some "modifying" for 4x4's.

I just came back from a 3 month trip to Baja... with the "bad" axle. Probably about 200+ miles of the bumpiest, washed-out, rocky dust ridden roads you can imagine. 2 hrs to go 10 miles one road. No problems, tho this summer I WILL find the time to replace the axle for the peace of mind.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems ppl might be carrying a little too much weight in this little things... I mean 18' RV really shouldn't weigh more than 5000 pounds... yikes.. that just seems like so much weight? How much crap do you really need to spend 3 days w/ full hookups once a month?

Ok sounds like a great purchase! The $ you spent will soon be forgotten as you sip your drinks at your favorite spot!

Thank you to all that responded over the past few days!

I'm very anxious to get the Toy back home from its propane certification.

Shoprat - thanks for the info on the axle!

Picklebill - thanks for (more) info on the axle! the year is 1984, and the mileage is 108,000mi

Bajadulce - i will enjoy the drinks, that's for sure!

I would really love to tour around California with this unit, however I'm almost as far away from CA as you can get... stuck here in Southern Ontario (Canada). We get the same weather as Northern California (plus some snow), but there's no other place that can compare to California... I really love it there! We have an office in Orange County, but there's little to no hope of ever transferring. I also enjoy visiting the San Fran area, but my favourite has to be San Diego... I hope to move there some day... Just need a job and a T1 work visa...

Oh, one last thing... No one has been able to tell me how to get the mothball smell out! I'm debating starting a new topic to draw attention to this personal crisis! haha!

Thanks again!!!

I think that the used car lots have a way to get rid of cigarette smells - I've seen an ozone generator gadget that plugs into the lighter socket but don't remember where. You might try asking a detail shop about this problem. Hope you find an answer soon!

Bill

Knowltondata,

Not sure if I'm interested in ripping out the carpeting... I already renovated my last 4 houses, so I just want to enjoy this vehicle without getting into big repairs just yet. :)

I haven't had it on the scales yet, mostly because I only had it for a couple of nights before it went to the Propane Certification.

Actually, they called me yesterday and told me something I already knew... The furnace blower won't turn on. It turned on when I first looked at the vehicle (3 times), but the day I bought it, it failed.

I'm sure it's something minor like a fuse or wire, but now I'm 'stuck' getting the shop (Propane Cert.) to 'fix' the furnace blower or they'll 'tag' the appliance (more $). All this @ $95/hour. What a deal!

Speaking of loathing... I've already spent $500 to get this thing on the road, and I STILL HAVEN'T had the 'opportunity' to purchase insurance!

Ugh...