i've never added on or had a vehicle with anti sway bars. wondering what has been used and how effective they were. new shocks all around help my MH quite a lot. also how difficult to install? do they bolt onto existing brackets? bolt on with included brackets? require welding?

i've never added on or had a vehicle with anti sway bars. wondering what has been used and how effective they were. new shocks all around help my MH quite a lot. also how difficult to install? do they bolt onto existing brackets? bolt on with included brackets? require welding?

The Hellwig kit bolts on with a couple wrenches; see my previous topic on this. You wont need to drill or weld at all and if you can fit under your rig and have a friend to hand you parts its on in less than an hour guaranteed fit. Made my rig so smooth you wonder if you are even moving if you close your eyes.

I've never added on or had a vehicle with anti sway bars. wondering what has been used and how effective they were. new shocks all around help my MH quite a lot. also how difficult to install? do they bolt onto existing brackets? bolt on with included brackets? require welding?

I'm willing to bet that you've had a vehicle with sway bars, at least on the front if not front and back. They're pretty much standard issue on all cars for decades.

Shocks are a bolt-on installation, assuming the nuts aren't rusted! 2 or 3 fasteners per shock. If you're in the 'rust belt' it's worth giving each nut a shot of penetrating oil the day before. My favorite is PB Blaster.

Mine has a stock one if some one puts a nice big bar on please post your results. My biggest complaint is passing tractor trailers on the back roads it handles fine.

The Hellwig kit bolts on with a couple wrenches; see my previous topic on this. You wont need to drill or weld at all and if you can fit under your rig and have a friend to hand you parts its on in less than an hour guaranteed fit. Made my rig so smooth you wonder if you are even moving if you close your eyes.

i found it online. doesn't mention anything about it being for 1-ton with dual rear wheels. i looked at your old post and saw the pic. is the model number just for the 1-ton or is it for all pickups? thanks for the info, sounds like something worth doing.

i found it online. doesn't mention anything about it being for 1-ton with dual rear wheels. i looked at your old post and saw the pic. is the model number just for the 1-ton or is it for all pickups? thanks for the info, sounds like something worth doing.

Alan took care of verifying one ton for us by calling. I can confirm; installed it myself. The Brackets fit over the axle on this kit. Alan had tried another kit which did not fit; the kit I mentioned is "the one" <insert angelic sunlight harp music here>.

I chose to buy mine from Amazon due to their very flexible return policy just in case; but didn't need to. Also, that model mentions fitting ALL trucks.

thumbup.gif

Here is the start of Totem's original thread. The swaybar discussion starts about 1/4 of the way from the beginning. The Hellwig installation instructions are there too. There are also discussion links to the factory rear swaybar part numbers and other member photos.

http://toyotamotorho...072

• 6 months later...

I installed the Hellwig bar on an 86 Custom Cab* I bought last month. One thing that I wanted to point out is that you may have to also modify your exhaust tailpipe with the Hellwig rear swaybar, since at least for mine, it was in the way. Fortunately, I had the CAT back exhaust system replaced at the same time, else it interfered with rear swaybar linkage and bracket. Attached are a couple of pictures showing the muffler's guy handy work to avoid the rear swaybar linkage and bracket, and the general installation.

I brought the Hellwig bar from SDTruckSprings.com. They currently have it on sale for less than Amazon ($183.95 vs. $201.21). In addition, there is an additional sale that almost pays for the shipping cost.

http://www.sdtrucksp...roducts_id=3786 .

Notes:

1) If you look off to the distance, you can see my Toy MH in the background!

2) *This is a Toyota pickup (not a MH); however, the same potential interference applies.

post-2114-0-24709800-1352091350_thumb.jp

post-2114-0-30929200-1352091369_thumb.jp

and the results? does it handle better? I got lucky with mine; exhaust was well out of the way already. Someone cat backed a pickup? I thought those were for 18 year olds driving rice burners :-)

It handles way better, before it felt like it was going to roll over!

This pickup also has a turbo. I cannot believe that Toyota only used a 2" exhaust on their turbo trucks. I upped it to 2.5", to help get the heat out, improve reliability of the turbo, and for a little extra power. There are some turbo Toyota pickup owners who up it to 3".