New to the Game

Ridge Runner

Hello All,

I'm a first-time RV'r. Just purchased a 1991 Toyota, V-6, Winnebago Warrior, 21'. It has 73k miles and the interior is immaculate and is fully self-contained.

I'm excited to get on the road this spring. My first trip will be to Colorado to visit my daughter then wherever the road leads.

Any other Warrior fans out there? Would appreciate any tips you can offer.

I live in northern California, near Chico.

Things to do on a Winny Warrior.

1. Winny is particle board crazy. Take the drawers out and hot glue the seams. Wax the bottom of the drawers so that they slide smoothly.

2. Caulk the seams in the shower

3. Caulk all seams on the roof and windows. The window seams can pop out in the wind.

4. Cover the roof with a tarp in rainy season. Water does not run off and pools in the center. Use bungy cords to hold the tarp down.

5. Check if the rear air bags are holding air. They run fine without the bags unless the springs are worn. I add metal full length leaf boosters when the bags are gonzo. They're forever.

6. The original 12v converter is an oldy and can shorten the life of the coach battery and will not run a cell phone when on shore power. The upgrade kit is $200 and worth the investment. Easy install and runs quiet

7. You can add a rear ladder. Very few had them. Buy the kit for about $100 that has the flexible joint to follow the rear curve. Mount the bottom on the bumper top so you will not stress the side because you will not hit the studs in the rear wall. So drill through and put large aircraft washers behind the nuts on the inside. Otherwise you can tear through the fibreglass. Same on the roof bolts.

8. The mystery gas filter is under the passenger side door.

9. Change the stock ignition wires to spiral wire type.

10. You need a special open end wrench to change or tighten the engine belt on the passenger side. I forgot which one it is and it's dark now.

11. You might want to make an access door for under the couch. It's a large space and you can only use it when you balance the couch half open. One out of two times the couch will slam shut and crush you to death or wish it did because of the pain and humiliation.

12. Get a 12v box fan for el cheapo in Wally World. For some reason they put it with the house wares fans. It is great for air circulation.

13. Check to see if your cab air conditioner has been converted to the new coolant in case you need a recharge. The old stuff is still available. They get it from Mexico.

14. I don't know if yours has a generator. However, if you need a coach battery Wally World has a size 29 which is one size larger than the stock 27 but is only 1/4 inch longer and kicks butt. It is about $62 exchange. One manufacturer makes about 18 brands and the same in another brand is twice the price. It is big enough to run a small microwave with and inverter.

15. You can get a hose kit to fit the propane tank for external spare tanks for boondocking. It's tricky but can be done.

Good luck