Oven Valve?

My stove top works fine and with no hesitation but i cant get my oven to stay lit. The pilot light stays lit but its very weak. when I push in on the valve and turn to broiler it will turn on and stay on as long as I keep pressure on the valve... as soon as I let go the pilot light goes back to dim and the oven shuts off... I think it may be because its never been used... or maybe only 1 or 2 times. theres not a crumb in it.

Any ideas? New valve? Take existing one apart?

My stove top works fine and with no hesitation but i cant get my oven to stay lit. The pilot light stays lit but its very weak. when I push in on the valve and turn to broiler it will turn on and stay on as long as I keep pressure on the valve... as soon as I let go the pilot light goes back to dim and the oven shuts off... I think it may be because its never been used... or maybe only 1 or 2 times. theres not a crumb in it.

Any ideas? New valve? Take existing one apart?

the problem most likely is the small brass thermocouple it needs to glow red for the valve to let gas out correctly. blow out the brass lines that feed the pilot to be sure but also make sure that small brass thermo is getting hot enough. test it with a Bic lighter if curious; light the thermo while bringing service (broil). if it runs correctly you will just need to push prod or pull it into the flame more. That fixed mine.

Ok! ill try it when i get home

the problem most likely is the small brass thermocouple it needs to glow red for the valve to let gas out correctly. blow out the brass lines that feed the pilot to be sure but also make sure that small brass thermo is getting hot enough. test it with a Bic lighter if curious; light the thermo while bringing service (broil). if it runs correctly you will just need to push prod or pull it into the flame more. That fixed mine.

I have a similar problem,i have an Elixir model 164-80B stove w/oven.Stove top works fine but when i try to light the oven i get a very small pilot and according to the manual at some point the pilot flame will get larger and heat the the little tube so the valve will open and the burner will light.When the oven reaches the set temperature the burner will shut off and the pilot will go back to small until the temp cools down then the large pilot flame again and the burner will light.Problem is i never get the large pilot flame so therefore no burner.

I hope someone here has an understanding of what it is that makes the pilot light change from very small to large enough to cause the main burner to come on.Along with that dificulty i have not yet found any place to buy parts for this stove if and when i discover what is needed,any help will be greatly appreciated! Don

buy another thermo... or realize perhaps the one you have has an "attitude" screw so it may be pushed or pulled. Some folks like to replace these things. I just adjusted mine.

NO. The Thermo Couple is a small brass bulb that sits near the flame of the the pilot light and is held in place by a small screw. You are over thinking this to be a failure in the valve. If you understood that the Thermo sends a small voltage to said valve opening it up when heated you would realize the importance of the thermo bulb beeing heated to a nice glow and stop suspecting the valve. Could the valve go wrong? sure, but the reality is that the pilot lights gas and the main burners gas depend on the heat up of the Pilot Thermo.. Guitarlover's pilot light barely makes flame; this is ok but not enough to heat the thermo to open the valve further.

I'll be interested to hear the result of the Bic test.

I decided to try turning that screw,i turned it about 1/4 turn counter clockwise,my tiny pilot light flame became larger and now reaches out to the thermocouple and when the thermocouple gets red hot the burner lights.So far so good,what i have now is what looks to me like a small flame from the full length of the burner so i set the thermostat to 300 and shut the door ,after 20 minutes i opened the door and checke the temp of a piece of metal i had placed in there with my ir temp gun and it was at 275 deg i figured that was pretty close so i let it run and checked it at about 10min intervals.The temp continued to increase and finally reached about 380deg where i shut it off. I looks like what i have now is the oven will light correctly but does not seem to control the temperature.The longer it ran the hotter it got.Unless someone comes up with a better idea i thimk i am just going to leave it at that and the wife will have to learn to work with it.

Hey Totem,

tried the bic test yesterday and nothing happens. Still not getting a strong gas flow unless i "push" on the valve. So bad valve then?

NO. The Thermo Couple is a small brass bulb that sits near the flame of the the pilot light and is held in place by a small screw. You are over thinking this to be a failure in the valve. If you understood that the Thermo sends a small voltage to said valve opening it up when heated you would realize the importance of the thermo bulb beeing heated to a nice glow and stop suspecting the valve. Could the valve go wrong? sure, but the reality is that the pilot lights gas and the main burners gas depend on the heat up of the Pilot Thermo.. Guitarlover's pilot light barely makes flame; this is ok but not enough to heat the thermo to open the valve further.

I'll be interested to hear the result of the Bic test.

Pushing the valve is the bypass that the thermo usually opens for you after heating up. Are you quite sure you heated the thermo till it was a cherry glow? (may take a sterno candle or aim a flame). if so you most likely have a stuck valve or bad thermo. Basically when the thermo heats up cherry it sends a minor electrical current to the valve which makes a magnetic bivalve open. if the thermo goes bad or the valve itself goes bad it wont.

Old Diesels trick would work for you possibly also if the cherry glowing hot thermo opens the service valve...

If your thermo is heated to a nice glow and still nothing; I yield it to be faulty valve/thermo or both