auto to 5 spd. does it make financial sense?

86rader

Hi,

I am considering converting my 21 ft sunrader with auto and 22RE to a 5 speed. I have a few reasons for doing this.

1. I just plain LIKE driving a 5 speed, so long as I'm not in rush hour traffic drinking a coffee.

2. There should be a modest performance increase

3. There should also be a modest mileage increase

4. No worries of boiling the tranny fluid out of the torque converter.

My question is, does it make monetary sense. I would think that I could find a wrecked or rusted out donor truck cheap, so the conversion shouldn't be that expensive and hopefully not to difficult. Also, I've noticed that there are damn few 5 speed toyhouses out there. Seems like everything built after 83 had an auto. This being the case, would it make it more valuable?

I'm not sure but you might have to change the computer. If you do a switch, drop in the best clutch you can buy because with the extra weight its going to wear it out quickly. As far as performance gains I am not sure about that. Auto's I think have a higher towing capacity. I don't think you will see a big difference in gas mileage, it may actually drop unless you are willing to downshift as often as an auto would. That brings up another point, lugging the engine. The reason for downshifting. Lugging an engine is very bad for it. You may still not be able to use 5th gear unless going down hill. A rear end gear swap would be a good idea before a tranny swap. I have considered doing a rear end gear change but I also have to do the front as well, much more complicated. For two wheel drives its really easy to do the swap.

Personally I really like having an automatic. But then mine also has a locking torque converter like the V6 models.

thanks, greg. I guess you are right. Probaly way more work and potential trouble than it's worth.

My sunrader did have some tranny issues on a trip outwest a short time ago. The previous owner told me that his daughters were out west with it and smoked something. They had it repaired then finished the trip. I don't have the details about what happened, other than when they got back, he took it to his local mechanic who gave it a clean bill of health.

I suspect that they drove it in OD and overheated it. If it does not already have one, I plan on installing the biggest tranny cooler that will fit and a tranny fluid temp gauge.

Will the tranny cooler keep things under control? Will too big a cooler block airflow to the radiator or ac condenser? Are there other places to mount the cooler?

Is it possible or worth it to install a locking torque converter?

I would put the biggest one you can fit in. They also make some that mount on the frame rail and some with their own cooling fans. A transmission temp gauge with the sensor in the pan is worth its weight in gold. Placing the sensor before the cooler woks well also. As for installing a locking torque converter I think that is transmission model specific. maybe someone else has better knowledge on that. My 86 does have a locking converter but its also a 22rte turbo which uses a different transmission (the V6 model) than a 22re. I suppose you could always switch out the tranny but its probably not that simple, computer issues etc.