AM FM Radio TV DVD player

I had a Coby under-cabinet Radio/TV player that I installed last year. It was an old analog TV so it was pretty much useless for off-the-air signals.

I decided to replace it with a new system, so I bought a AM/FM,/Video DVD player car radio, and a small 13 inch HDTV.

post-4544-0-10267900-1324412049_thumb.jp

You can see the radio DVD player mounded in a under-counter mount, also notice the power switch (looks like a light switch) under the cabinet, This feeds 12 volts the Radio, the TV, the TV Antenna amplifier, and a GPS Blue tooth.

post-4544-0-50340900-1324412073_thumb.jp

I installed new speakers in the bottom of the cabinets. I looked around for thin speakers but couldn't find any, so I bought a inexpensive set of 6 inch speakers. One of the problems, the speakers were a lot deeper than the original speakers, so the back of the speakers extended up inside the cabinet. To protect the speakers from stuff inside the cabinet, I got a couple small plastic bowls from the dollar store and screwed them over the speakers inside the cabinet. you can see the upside down bowl in this photo. :-)

post-4544-0-97842000-1324412063_thumb.jp post-4544-0-33810700-1324412068_thumb.jp

I got a small flat TV wall mount from Menards ($16) and mounted the TV on the back wall. You can see a small piece of white plastic self adhesive wire conduit running across the ceiling. This has the 12 volts for the TV, the speaker wire, the DVD Player Video wire to the TV, and the AM radio antenna wires in side it. The TV runs off 12 volts, its a Viore 13 inch from Walmart Webstore, cost about $100

post-4544-0-73012000-1324412053_thumb.jp post-4544-0-82406800-1324412058_thumb.jp

I mounted the new AM radio antenna on the luggage rack mount. It runs inside the Frig plenum then over to the AM radio.

Also - I had a small bluetooth GPS left over from a job I did a couple years ago, so I installed it in the top of the Frig chimney. I can connect my laptop to the GPS via the bluetooth connection.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 4 weeks later...

We used the TV and DVD player a lot on our Christmas trip.

This TV is a lot better than the old Coby we had. When we stopped for the night, I would hit the menu and tell it to search for TV signals. About a minute later it would show what analog and digital stations it found.

NOTE - You know your in the sticks when it comes back and says "Check Antenna, No signals found".

We could lay in bed in the cabover and change channel etc with the remote. just like home.

To reduce power consumption we turn the main 12 volt switch off when not in use (Thats the switch under the cabinet), this kills 12 volts to the radio, TV, and the GPS receiver mounted in the Frig Chimney (Its a blue tooth GPS that I can use on my laptop or phone)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

John, I approve of the upside down bowl! And wow that is one BIG clock on your wall. TV looks like a well thought out spot for all around use.

How much draw on your new TV and good idea of the kill switch for those phantom loads. Tho as much driving as you do, I don't imagine your batteries ever feel tired. Solar regain is only for wimps that park it! :)

Crazy how today's home has so many phantom loads. Everything has some sort of LED or converter etc. Even our toaster has a light (wife bought it.. I don't say anything). I bet if we unplugged all the little gizmos in our house, we'd easily match the draw of a 2nd fridge if not a 3rd!

Conserving "juice" in our campers sure wakes you up to how much energy we consume in our daily lives.

Clock also has weather info, displays inside and outside temperatures, % humidity, and barometric pressure. AND it covers a big hole in the wall :-)

TV is a couple amps when it runs, The TV maintains its memory when the 12 volts is turned off, the Radio doesn't.

Your right about the Phantom power, the TV, Radio, and GPS draw about 1 amp when turned off. doesn't seem like much, but will kill the coach battery in less than a week.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

You're right, that is a big clock. But at least it does other things than tell the time (like cover a hole :ThumbUp:). I've always wondered why all these MH left the factory with a HUGE clock installed. When I'm away, I try and not let a clock rule my life. Plus I never use any of the clocks at home (all have flat batteries). I carry a very small 'clock' strapped to my wrist!

And let me guess, there are clocks built in to your cab radio, TV, microwave, etc. Too many clocks, especially when we have to change them all for DST.

we use it mainly for temperature and "What time is it back home (we leave it on EST)

The clock comes with a small wireless temperature transmitter. I mounted it inside the propane compartment, this gives us outside air temperature.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 1 year later...

John, what's the white thing right above the Microwave? don't tell me it's an AC unit??

I had a Coby under-cabinet Radio/TV player that I installed last year. It was an old analog TV so it was pretty much useless for off-the-air signals.

I decided to replace it with a new system, so I bought a AM/FM,/Video DVD player car radio, and a small 13 inch HDTV.

attachicon.gifRadioTV1_Small.JPG

You can see the radio DVD player mounded in a under-counter mount, also notice the power switch (looks like a light switch) under the cabinet, This feeds 12 volts the Radio, the TV, the TV Antenna amplifier, and a GPS Blue tooth.

attachicon.gifRadioTV2_Small.JPG

I installed new speakers in the bottom of the cabinets. I looked around for thin speakers but couldn't find any, so I bought a inexpensive set of 6 inch speakers. One of the problems, the speakers were a lot deeper than the original speakers, so the back of the speakers extended up inside the cabinet. To protect the speakers from stuff inside the cabinet, I got a couple small plastic bowls from the dollar store and screwed them over the speakers inside the cabinet. you can see the upside down bowl in this photo. :-)

attachicon.gifRadioTV3_Small.JPG attachicon.gifRadioTV4_Small.JPG

I got a small flat TV wall mount from Menards ($16) and mounted the TV on the back wall. You can see a small piece of white plastic self adhesive wire conduit running across the ceiling. This has the 12 volts for the TV, the speaker wire, the DVD Player Video wire to the TV, and the AM radio antenna wires in side it. The TV runs off 12 volts, its a Viore 13 inch from Walmart Webstore, cost about $100

attachicon.gifRadioTV6_Small.JPG attachicon.gifRadioTV5_Small.JPG

I mounted the new AM radio antenna on the luggage rack mount. It runs inside the Frig plenum then over to the AM radio.

Also - I had a small bluetooth GPS left over from a job I did a couple years ago, so I installed it in the top of the Frig chimney. I can connect my laptop to the GPS via the bluetooth connection.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I stopped the other day at Camping World they had two smaller new Coleman hard side campers (16 and 18') and both had 5,000 btu built in window units!

Thats kind of where I got the idea from. When we went to RV shows, we seen the A/C units mounted like this. Very good idea.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Wow, that's a great idea. I have been thinking of a replacement for the aging roof top AC unit that I removed. Knowing you, you may have a good write up for it. let's me search and see if i can find it.

Couple of questions:

1. I am assuming that the AC unit is a regular window AC unit used for stationary house...not RV special?

2. Venting for this AC unit is done thru the Fridge vent so you do not need to open the wall?

3. What unit would you recommend. At 5000BTU, my EU2000i honda should be able to handle it

Thanks,