GM Alternator Wiring

advocate1

Big terminal 12 volts right to the battery with at least a #8 wire (stock Toyota wire is fine) terminal 2 to 12 volts (can be wired to the big terminal with a #14 wire) F1 to a light, one side 12 volts with the key on the other to pin F2 this is important because that is what turns the field on and off. If you are not going to use a light a 10 ohm 6 watt resistor will do again one side to a keyed on 12 volt source and the other end to terminal 1. It maybe a trick the find your light wire because the Toyota warning light is relayed if you can find it at the relay you can join in to it other wise add a light.

Thanks for the reply... But I think I remember seeing a way to wire it up using wire(s) from the original plug connector so as to get the dash light to work. Any thoughts on that???

Sunrader Bob

Yeah every thing but the light is there. The light is relayed, the GM has to be series to 12 volts what happens in a GM when you turn the key on the light looks at the alt. as a path to ground and lights when the alternator starts to charge the voltage becomes positive at terminal 1 and then there is no longer a path to ground for the light and it goes out. The light or a resister has to be in line because what this does in wakes up the regulator and and it in turn energizes the field now being connected to a keyed 12 volt feed it also turns it off other wise the field would slowly kill your battery when the engine was off. Give me a bit of time and the year of your MH I think I can come up with some thing for you using a resistor and your charge relay.

OK this looks like it will work if you have a 22RE or a 6 cyl. The yellow wire can go to terminal 2 it will be fused through a 7.5 amp charge fuse the red wire can go to terminal 1 (I think it maybe a white wire with a red stripe you can't all ways believe what you read) it will be marked ign on the alt. it's fused through the 15 amp engine fuse and the big wire on the GM batt. terminal.

Thank You for the links.

Apparently Google doesn't like electrics either as, even after drilling down several levels, neither link seems to lead to information on installing a GM, 3 wire, (not 1 wire) 12SI (not a later 150 amp) alternator in a 1987 (not pre-1985) Toyota chassis.

Thanks Maineah... That looks like it will work and use the coil of the relay as the current limiter for the field exciter. I'll give it a try and report back.

Sunrader Bob

OK this looks like it will work if you have a 22RE or a 6 cyl. The yellow wire can go to terminal 2 it will be fused through a 7.5 amp charge fuse the red wire can go to terminal 1 (I think it maybe a white wire with a red stripe you can't all ways believe what you read) it will be marked ign on the alt. it's fused through the 15 amp engine fuse and the big wire on the GM batt. terminal.

Maybe you could ask "Spark Chaser Extrodinaire" who posted "... but kits, including mounting brackets and wiring looms, are available to hang a higher output GM alternator in place. Check the off-road parts sources. I helped a friend hang one on a 84 Toy 4x4 a few months back and it was a piece of cake, took less than an hour."

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/toyota-campers/conversations/messages/141828

Sounds like he's done it recently and would have your answer. :ThumbUp: