List of engine & transmission service information ?

Hello All

Joined the group today after winning a 85 Dolphin on ebay last night and getting preparations started to collect it (>400 miles away)

Something that I have noticed is that it is not easy to identify simple service requirements like the following:

Engine model ? (22REC ?)

Transmission model ?

Air filter

Oil filter

Spark plug (NGK)

Transmission service kit (automatic)

Type of transmission oil & qty (automatic)

Lug nut wrench size (same front and back ?)

When looking for spare parts at web sites like car-stuff.com, which vehicle model does one use to find the right bits ?

Car-stuff shows the following listing:

Vehicle Year Engine Chasis

PUP 2WD CarbReg&XCab 84-88 22R RN50/55

PUP 2WD EFI Reg&XCab 84-88 22REC RN50/55

PUP 2WD Turbo X-Cab 85-88 22RTEC RN55

PUP 4WD Carb RN60-66 84-88 22R RN60-66

PUP 4WD EFI Reg&XCab 85-88 22REC RN60-66

Tercel Canada 83-86 3A AL21

Tercel 3/5Dr STD/DLX 83-86 3AC AL21

Tercel 2WD Wagon DLX 84-87 3AC AL21

Tercel 4WD Wagon 83-88 3AC AL25

Van 2WD STD/DLX/LE 84-85 3YEC YR21/27

4Runner 4Cyl 4WD EFI 85-89 22REC RN60/61

Buy a Chiltons manual for that year Toyota Pickup that will also give you all the other specs you need for that year. The truck chassis, engine and transmission is the same for pickup or motorhome. Does it have the full floating rear axle or the bad rear axle? The good axle wll have 6 lugs with a protrusion thru the wheel hole and the bad axle will have 5 lugs and no protrusion. And yes the lug nuts might be a different size depending on which rear axle you have.

And welcome to the group!

Greg

Thanks for the advice.

I inadvertently uploaded the above message before I had finished writing it. Then I went to edit it, finished editing it and resubmitted it. Then IE seemed to "freeze" and had to be shut down. Today I see that I ended up with 2 identical (unfinished) versions.... Thats life I guess.

I have a 400 mile trip back home from collecting the little RV and I ran into trouble the last time I had to do something similar. So this time I want to be prepared and will do a few "proactive" servicing procedures to try to steer clear of trouble. Everyone knows what a joy it is to break down on a busy highway on a Saturday evening....

How ofter are (auto) transmission problems a bear ? I have read the one article online here and it sounds scary.. This weekends weather doesn't look promising and I have a long way to go that is through prime lake effect territory. My last long distance trip was on the day the most recent big storm came through NY, PA, OH etc and it was pretty nerve wracking. At least I didn't get stuck on the highway for more than 24hrs like those folks in PA. Must have passed at least a half dozen jack knifed semi's though.

Will follow your advice and get the manual. Be prepared !

regards

Keith