Roof ridge trim repair on '91 Winnie Warrior

vrocrider

I damaged the roof & trim that runs on the edge of the curved front from the drivers door up to the roof & will be replacing. When you remove vinyl insert from the aluminum edge trim I assume you will find screws holding the trim. Should I expect to see these screws with some type of gasketing or other means to seal off body seam from water? I have a water leak on this same side but so far I have been unable to locate. Should I use same screw holes; i.e. match new trim holes to old trim holes? Should I insert silicone into holes before inserting screws?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You're right about what's under the insert trim. You'll see a line of hex-head/slotted screws that hold the trim on. The trim itself is usually bedded down with a strip of either grey putty tape or black butyl rubber tape. The black butyl rubber stuff is more long-lasting than the grey putty type. When you're done with your repairs, clean off the old bedding (black or grey) as best you can from both surfaces, but getting every last bit off isn't really neceaasry. Buy a roll of new stuff from your nearest RV supplier and, if the old screws show any rust at all, replace them also. They are available at Lowe's in my area and probably lots of other places as well. They are 1" x #8 hex head screws. Some people go for the stainless steel ones but its probably not necessary. Also, as per your suggestion, its a good idea to squirt a little bit of your favorite "goo" into each hole just before running the screw home. Good luck.