1989-1995 hood with TRD scoop

Bryan B

I know not alot of you would care much for a hood scoop (like the factory 1 you see on newer 4Runners and Tacoma) on your toyhomes but I fig I would post up pics of a 92 hood that I installed 1 into.

This is a pic of a new 1999 4Runner aftermarket hood with scoop I purchased to cut the scoop out of (60.00 for hood)

scoop2.jpg

here is the "old" hood (25.00 Local junkyard)

with hole cut and centered to size, ready to set scoop into and weld

cutnready.jpg

I use those rare earth magnets to line up sheet metal to weld, they do an incredible job of aligning 2 pieces of metal and holding them and are reusable. here is a pic of the hood after close to 400 "tack" welds later and begining to grind them flush to do body wotk so it will be nice and slick.

The yellow truck in the background is my 1983 Toyota (same as my 83 sunrader) that has been narrowed by 12 inches to make it "more" nimble offroad.

post-5618-0-39820400-1318516338_thumb.jp

That oughta add at least 10 more horses, I'd say. ;)

I just liked the look of the factory scoop thats all. it wasnt going on my motorhome (mine is an 83) it is on my 4runner with the Lexus V8.

As far as cooling goes, the only time my temps rise is when in double low range rock crawling with no airflow- the scoop doesnt flow much air at no speed, it does allow heat to escape, it is being pushed out by the engine fan though.