1992 3.0 V6 stalls when put in gear or driving

Working on a 1992 Winnebago Warrior with a 3.0l v6. We just finished replacing timing belt, tensioner and idler pulleys as well as the water pump. After a couple of decent runs it started stalling when shifting from first to second (auto trans). If you keep the gear selector in "L" it will not stall. Starting off in "2" it will stall when reaching about 12mph. Also, it will stall when moving the gear shift from park to "D" or "R". The trans never actually engages, it is like turning the key off when it occurs. Any ideas? I'm a 21yr Ford guy, this is my first go around with this generation Toyota.

I'm not a V6 expert (I have the 22re) and I don't remember if this problem applies to the V6, but I seem to recall a couple instances on this forum and the Yahoo group about the transmission cable doing weird things. (shifting / stalling) . Cable melted or needed adjustment.??? This is the shift down cable from the throttle to the transmission I believe.

There is a procedure in the Factory Service manual. might be worth a look!

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Don't think the timing belt is a possibility. Engine runs great as long as you are not in gear or stay in low gear. We spun it over several times by hand and were meticulous in setting the tension. There were a couple of vacuum lines off, got that corrected and didn't change anything. Also of note is that you have to press the gas pedal down to start it, acts like not enough air flow past throttle plate. This doesn't seem to be related to it cutting out while driving, the throttle is open past the point of idle control playing a factor.. In the Ford world it would need an idle air control solenoid. Still figuring out what controls idle speed.