A Perfect Caulking Job?

I've done lots of work on my '85 Dolphin and almost all of it has included removing and installing windows and the various moldings around the exterior of the body. I do satisfactory work that doesn't leak and is usually stronger than the original.

The one thing that I can't do is get a perfect caulk line around these windows and moldings. I've used masking tape, that when pulled up, also pulled up a little of the caulk up necessitating re-tooling the caulk that then smears onto the siding a little bit or onto the window frame or molding. I've tried cutting different sized holes in the caulk tube or spraying the freshly applied caulk with Windex before tooling the stuff off (supposed to make it lie down better). None of these techniques gave a result as good as the factory job. I'm beginning to think that 95 per cent of caulking is technique and practice.

Anybody got any ideas on ow to do this so as to make a perfect "vee" caulk line?

John

I'm like you. Its an art!!!

I use masking tape, but carefully pull it off while the caulk is still wet

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 2 months later...

I talked to shop worker at a small trailer manufacturer in Texas about this issue. Said they apply a SMALL consistent in width bead and spread with finger that's been dipped in a solution of water and detergent.