I'm re-posting this in the hope of getting some input. Hope that's o.k.

Hello Again,

I posted awhile back about my 17' Dolphin with single rear wheels, and was told to go get it weighed. So I did, and here's what I found.

From the sticker inside the driver's side door (from the coach manufacturer), I found the G.V.W.R. to be 4600#, the G.A.W.R. Front to be 1850#, and the G.A.W.R. Rear to be 2900#.

The vehicle itself came in at 4380# total, with the Front at 1520# and the Rear at 2860# loaded, but with no passengers aside from the driver.

My question, as usual, revolves around the G.A.W.R. Rear. The rig is a mere 40# below the rated weight, and I'm wondering if this is a problem. The tires are new, and I don't see any evidence of fluid around the rear brakes or axle area.

What do you guys think? Drivable as is, or do I need to do more exploration? Anyone hear of a 17' single-wheel setup breaking? I suppose I know that the set up is not ideal, but I'm wondering if anyone here would drive it themselves. I'm planning to work my way through the brake system thoroughly, and I can look for other telltale signs of axle issues as I do so.

Also, I realize that nobody can make this call for me, but I appreciate any info that can steer me in the right direction. Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

-BonnerA

Ok good start, next piece of needed info is the tires. What size are they and what is their rated load capacity??

WME,

The front tires are P205/75 R14, with a load capacity of 1532 lbs. each. The rear tires are P225/70 R14 with a max load of 1675 each. The brand is Primewell, front and rear. I'm pretty sure these are passenger car tires ( from the "thrifty"

previous owner), but they are brand spankin' new. Perhaps some nicer ones for the rear, where the load is greatest?

Also, the sticker I got all the GAWR info from was installed by the coach manufacturer. Should I contact Toyota to verify the numbers, or assume they are correct?

Your help is much appreciated!!!

-Bonner

The GAWR from the coach mfg is good. Calling Toyota would be more info and you could see what they say. Most of the P/Us came with P tires on them. So with your P series you should be OK at the current weight. Check you packing see if you can move heavy things from behind the rear axle to between the axles. That will place some weight on the front and lighten the rear.

If you can move 100lbs forward and add a 150lb passenger then you would still be under max GAWR and you would be 100lb or so lighter on the rear axle.

I don't think there are any LT tires in the 14" size except for the normal Toy MH selection on 185 or 195 x14"

Thanks for all the good info, WME. I'm going to go through the brake system sometime in the next couple of weeks, and then it's off for a short jaunt to check all the mechanicals. I think I've decided that things will be okay axle-wise as long as I keep the rear loaded lightly or not at all. Your input has been greatly appreciated.

I'll try to post pics of any future projects by way of paying back a little.

Yours,

Bonner