I bought my '90 Odyssey last year. Still sitting in the driveway going through interior renovations, so I haven't registered it yet.

When I bought it, the PO said he really hadn't done much other than a recent alternator replacement. Don't have any receipts, but, looking under the hood, the alternator definitely looks a little brighter than the rest of the bits that have been there for 21 years. I've started and driven it around the yard a few times and occasionally, the alternator light has lit. usually a blip of the throttle to get things spinning a little faster put it out. Now it does not.

So, looks like my "new" alternator needs replacing. Not surprised really as I found out the hard way on our trip west in our sunrader a few years back that cheapo remanufactured alternators suck. I had one installed in Dumas, Tx. The next day I did it all over again in Witchita, this time with a good bosch unit. The mechanic that did it told me he would not install an autozone remanned alternator and stand behind it.

At least this time it happened in my yard, not 1500 miles away. Should I bite the bullet and get a new bosch? Can I pull out this defective one and possibly repair it?

I am an electronics tech and a pretty decent solderer. I suspect that the problem with these remanned units is using cheap replacement parts in the built in regulator. i am tempted to pull this thing off and take a look at it. Does anyone have experience tinkering with these things?

bos ch is good for a fact maybe car quest or napa tend tohave good stuff autozone shucks orrielys all junk couldvery well be china junk starters know better junk do you have any good local rebuield shops there we have one here but if that is not quality to start with i dont know i have some ex somtimes it is the brushes not make contact at shucks i saw them testthreealternaters out of the box none where anygood i dont buy any there or autozone