Air Conditioner leaks when running

craige

I was camping last weekend and the air conditioner worked for a day and a half. In the middle of the nite I noticed that it was not putting out cool air anymore. It sounded as if there was a restriction on the air flow. I turned it off and went back to sleep, The next morning I tried it again and it worked for about a half hour before it started to leak water into the cabin. It was a very hot and muggy Wis day. It had not rained and is obviously condensation. Is there a drain that could be plugged. I dont usually run the air conditioner. I have only had it on for an hour or two before.

Sounds like the evaporator coil frosted over. when this happens no air can flow through the coil.

If it does this again, set the temperature a little warmer so the compressor cycles on and off. This will allow any ice buildup on the evaporator coil to thaw.

ALSO - I'm not 100% sure regarding RV A/C units, but generally, if the Evaporator coil forms ice, this is a symptom of a low freon charge in the unit.

Not sure how RV A/Cs deal with condensate.(dump it on the roof) but that's probably the source of your water.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 3 weeks later...

My rooftop A/C dumps condensate on the roof. The only place there is a seal between the A/C unit and the roof is right around the 14" square hole in the roof. The previous owner had somebody seal things who didn't know what they were doing. He ran silicone caulk all the way around the perimeter of the A/C between the roof and the A/C. That trapped all the condensate and it ran down inside the cold air outlets. I removed the A/C, scraped all the silicone off, and installed a proper foam gasket. No more leaks. Go up on your roof and make sure there is NO caulk going all the way around your A/C.