Best Places to Camp in Ohio?

Hi everybody! I live in Dayton, Ohio and am planning a several day getaway starting this weekend. I am flexible to drive about anywhere in the state (though would prefer something that isn't eight hours away). Can anyone make some suggestions on what they consider to be the top places to camp in Ohio. I would like something with lots of activities, such as boat, bike and horse rental; swimming; scenic beauty; "fun" activities, etc. (From what little info I've gleaned so far, I am considering Indian Lake.)

Thank you! :-)

Greetings from the Cleveland area! I seasonally camp at Willow Lake Park in Brunswick. It's very close to I71. They have fishing, swimming, game room, concessions, special events, putt putt, a ball field, basketball court and horseshoes - on the small side - no horses or boats but is very reasonably priced and a family-oriented atmosphere.

www.willowlakepark.net.

Well, I studied my options and chose Indian Lake. It seemed to have far more amenities than the vast majority of Ohio state parks. I was also able to get a lake-view site. (The last full-service spot available!) Here's keeping my fingers crossed that it's as nice as what I believe it will be. I will post an update after my stay. :-)

• 5 months later...

Look up some KOA camp grounds. They offer non-electric camping and also have a family friendly atmosphere. If it's with a bunch of friends then it's still the same.

Carter Caves in Kentucky is a really great place to camp. It's also a great place to tour some of the caves there.

Take it from an Ohioan (Cincinnati) whose been down there before.

Also Mammoth Cave has some good camp grounds too and offers a really good Mammoth Cave tour.

Source(s):

I'm an Ohioan whose been to the places i've mentioned and had no problems with either camp site. I live in Cincinnati.

• 4 months later...

I know this post was from last year but with camping seasonalready here I thought I would share my favorite spots in Ohio.

(1) hocking hills,the state campground at old mans cave is my favorite,but it is very popular and can get busy,research the area it is really the garden spot of the state.

(2)lake hope,another state campground,it is about 20 miles south of hocking hills

There are several private campgrounds near hocking hills

(3) shawnee forest It is also a state campground and is in a beautiful part of the state.I hope that some of you will enjoy these great locations