Leak Between Sunrader Coach & Cab

Cougmobile

Hello Folks ~

I'm encountering some water leakage problems with my 1988 Sunraderthat

I'd greatly appreciate getting your guidance how to fix it. Please see the picture

attached. The circle on the right identifies where the water's coming in,

the circle on left show where it's seeping into the cab. The floor pan behind

the seat is getting soaked, and this is happening on both the passenger

and driver side.

I reckon that the problem lies with the seal or gasket between thecoach and

the cab, but I'm clueless about how I'd go about fixing it.

I'm new to the RV scene, have had this critter for a couple of years, and am

just now getting around to dealing with such things.

When I first saw on a Sunrader it was "move over Fallingwater…step

aside Frank Lloyd Wright!"

Thanks in advance,

~~Gary~~

post-3063-0-23526300-1306282255_thumb.gi

Maybe you need to replace the rubber joint material there?

I don't have a leak there yet, but for cosmetic reasons I am wanting to replace the white rubber/vinyl trim moulding where the metal cab joins the fiberglass coach in case anyone knows of a source?

Edited by Vasajim

Just a hunch - take out the sleeping pad over your cab and check for wetness on the fiberglass shell's floor. On either side to the rear corners (front are the windows) there are ports that carry wires to the cap's lighting and probably the front clearance lights. These ports shoot straight down and could possibly channel water that may be leaking through the window gaskets up there. I had a big leak that landed in my lap while driving through a HEAVY thunderstorm. I pulled out the padding and discovered a puddle in the center rectangular section that has "Sunrader" scripted on the outside - between the windshield and the plexiglass windows up topside. I stripped EVERYTHING out over the cab (not that difficult) and viewed the bare fiberglass. There were boards (1"x3"x36") that were in these side channels that led to vertical ports and it would be easy to visualize water running through the channels and dumping down these ports to the area you described in the picture. I didn't notice if there were drain holes for these ports under the chassis, but to tell you the truth I didn't investigate. My problem was failed gaskets surrounding the plexiglass windows in the front. After I stripped the cap area, I hosed the windows with water, determined where the failures were and caulked with 35 yr. silicone (clear). Maybe your's is dry topside, but I'd look to rule that out before replacing the circled gasket in your picture. Another thing to consider before you tear into things - when you park your rig in it's favorite spot, is it perfectly level? Or is it on a slight incline and canted a little to the left (drivers) side?

Hope this helps - good luck!

Mick

I do not know what the cab-to-coach seal on a Sunrader looks like, but I have used the following sources for weatherstripping and various rubber seals. Others might have some better sources for seals and know the specific shape of the seal.

Auto Parts Warehouse (similar, but less pricey than JC Whitney)

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/

All Rite

http://www.all-rite.com/index.php

Trim Lok

http://www.trimlok.com/index.aspx

Sue

I'm with Vasajim's diagnosis, I think is do need to replace the rubber joint between the cab and the coach...or some such.

I'm in need of some guidance as to how do I go about doing this? Or, is there some otherway to mend the leak(s).

The plexiglass windows windows have been replace, and driver lights replace with LEDs resealed. So the problem definately isn't topside.

I pin pinpointed the area where its leaking by hitting it with a hose.

Rummaged around and haven't found anywhere this is discussed in the forum, but I reckon it probably there...somewhere?

Suggestions?

~~Gary~~

Never seen a Sunrader leak there before but a member on the toyota camper site replaced the molding between the cab and the coach with garage door seal. Looks really good. You could strip the old stuff off seal it with a long lasting sealer and put the new stuff on. He used a hot glue gun but construction glue might work too

You might have to belong to the toyota-camper group at Yahoo to view this

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-campers/photos/album/46496395/pic/799738718/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc

Linda S

• 2 years later...

Hello Gary,

I know its been a few years since your post but I just bought a 84 sunrader that has the same leak and was wondering what did you ever find out and how did you fix it.

Thank you.

jason