honda trail 90

pdqmovie

Hi there ,

I bought my self a 1975 honda trail 90 it about 200 pounds can i be able to put it behind the Toyota motor home so i can run errands or to the market when i am at a camp site ?? i was giving a rack with the honda because it was on the old owners rv that was not a toyota . If not on the back have anybody have a motocycle in the front of the rv ??? I was thinking it would be hard to see to drive but i am open to ideas

After reading up (here) on the leverage placed on the wimpy rear frame behind the axle and having a good look underneith the frame. I decided that reinforceing the frame was going to be complicated and not very effective. I am carrying a 250 # Honda 250, but a 195# Honda 90 would do the same thing. So I took some good advice from here and welded a 2" reciever on the rear and went with a trailer. I got a nice Harbor Freight 4' X 8' 1700 # frame with 6 ply tires and 5 bolt rims. It is on sale for $375 but with the 20% off coupon was $311. I am putting a 4X8 sheet of expanded metal on for a floor and plan to load the trailer so the tounge weight is on the light side. My big hangup on doing this was backing up so I got a $70 Peak 7" backup mirror/ camera AND A SET OF $12 halogen backup lights wired into the reverse circuit. I know myself well enough to know I will need to be backing into some backwoods parking spot at O'Dark Thirty...

The frame can handle the draw from a 1,000 pound trailer easily and stress from hitting the brakes, but definitely not tongue weight over 150 pounds. With a trailer my tongue weight almost never even came close to exceeding 80 pounds and I slept better knowing there wasn't as much stress on the rear. Plus beefing up the rear can add a lot of weight. 100 pound for sure if done properly. And as for the front the coach manufacturers stressed never to drive with weight in the overhead bunk due the handling while taking turns. I couldn't imagine driving with a trail bike mounted on the front.

Get the hitch and trailer or just get a bicycle.

I came across the following, which is kind of interesting and seems to explain things clearly:-

http://www.transport...vehtowguide.pdf

Notes from the Pdf above:-

- You should not exceed manufacturer's GVWR;

- You should not exceed manufacturer's GAWR;

- Adding components such as air bags or overload springs does not allow these rating to be increased or exceeded.

I've never come across a good list of GVWR, GAWR, GCWR for the different years of Toyota Motorhomes. I know the GVWR went from 5300lb to 5500lb (22RE, 1-Ton) to 6000lb (V6). GCWR reached 8500lb (V6?) 'when properly equipped'.Attached are specs for the '86 Winnie. Notice how close to being overloaded the front axle is.