japanese import in CA

tlava

Hi All--

There's a '91 Toy campmate on for sale, right hand drive, which the buyer says was imported from Jap. last yr. and driven to Halifax. He claims that these can't be imported into US unless 25 yrs. old or older? Would it be foolish to but this and store it for 5 yrs, and the apply for US regis? Not sure how all this works, or it I'd need to make any mods, etc...

And, generally, why do we have such restrictive import laws for these superior vehicles (as if I didn't know...)

Thanks!

Emissions, Crash worthiness, glass, turn signals, panel thickness (metal gauge), etc.

When I lived in Japan, there were several vehicles that I would have loved to bring back, but was warned by the exporter that they would not pass US standards.

(I had a Nissan Bluebird - this was a Nissan Maxima on steriods)

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Would it be foolish to but this and store it for 5 yrs, and the apply for US regis?
That's what I was thinking of doing....

Emissions, Crash worthiness, glass, turn signals, panel thickness (metal gauge), etc.

When I lived in Japan, there were several vehicles that I would have loved to bring back, but was warned by the exporter that they would not pass US standards.

(I had a Nissan Bluebird - this was a Nissan Maxima on steriods)

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I had a Bluebird also, as well as a couple Fairlady Z cars and a couple differant Nissan Skylines. I bought all of these cars out of a Japanese junk yard. They were all close to or just over 10 years old.

when a vehicle reach's 10 years old in Japan they get much harder to pass "shaken" their vehicle inspection program, and more expensive to insure. I have literally seen Japanese people drive perfectly good cars to the junk yard and walk away

The junk yards pull the motor and tranny's and send them to Australia, US, Canada, and scrap the rest of the car. If you can get to know the junk yard owner you may be able to buy the entire car pretty cheap, As a American service member i was not required to go through their "Shaken" just had to do a inspection at the base garage

anyway i have heard the reason they do not export the entire car to here is because the emission requirements are ot as strict in Japan as in the US, do not know if that is true or not however, I do know i see quite a few right hand drive Japanese cars with British Columbia plates driving down I-5 towards Seattle, so that leads me to believe they import them into Canada alot

Hi

I have a 92 Toy and it is Japanese made, and I think it has been in Canada for all of its life. Look at the door plate and see if one of the number(s) start with a "J" this means it was manufactured in Japan. I have no problems with my rig in British Columbia.

Cheers

Brian