Good Sam Club

Vanman

I am getting promos for this and it seems like a good idea, what about this club and are there others?? What are any of you using?? I am hearing that with all the cut-backs in the Calif state park systems they are not as well patrolled and safe as in the past so it seems more campers are migrating to private campgrounds. John & Mary

We have Good Sam with the road service package. The road service covers us (all of our cars and RV) like the AAA one but they will tow your RV as far as needed to a repair shop at no extra charge. The GS discount is 10% I think. Not all RV parks take GS. I have used the towing service 3 times. Our fist experience was actually a bit different. The Ca Highway patrol did not like the response ETA GS gave us so they requested that we be towed by one of their contracted towing companies. Reality is they took just as long to arrive and then charged us $200 to tow us 1 mile. I contacted GS and explained the situation and they sent us a check for the $200. I know a local tow driver and asked him about GS and why they don't contract with them. He said it was because GS takes along time to pay the towing company. So less towing companies are willing to work with GS. Bottom line is that it might take a bit longer for the GS tow to arrive and rescue you.

As far as safety at CA state parks what I have seen (work next to one) is that there are the same number of state park police officers but less park staff. In fact we stopped at one last year and law enforcement was manning the kiosk because they had reduced staff.

Can't tell you much about the club part, but I can tell you Good Sam wanted 150 dollars more every six months than Gieco for the same exact insurance policy. Just throwing this out there because I spent half an hour on the phone with them 2 days ago after someone told me they were cheaper.

Thanks, I didn't see the towing option before. I signed us both up for AAA, but that was before we got the Dolphin so I have to check on that. Think I'll go for it but will check AAA first, then decide about the tow ins. I have Farmers on all my stuff, Mary has ins on the RV, but don't know who by. Are you going to American River??

John & Mary...