ToyHome vs Small 5th-Wheel

Micasalay

Full disclosure: I have just registered with this forum, although I've been a "lurker" for a while.

Backstory: I've been fascinated with the Toys ever since my late uncle had one in the 80's - he lived in it !

But it was usually parked at his mother's house...

As I approach retirement myself, I have been thinking of getting one of my own. Not to live in, but for extended trips.

Larger, later model RVs are out of my price range, plus I prefer something easier to drive, park, manage, etc.

Here is the issue: Obviously the Toy can't really tow much of anything. I am speaking here of the 'dinghys' that can be used for running errands such as quick trips to the market or pharmacy as well as for day trips exploring nearby attractions, scenic drives, hikes, etc. Disengaging from a nicely set up campsite time after time for one of these jaunts seems like a hassle, and there are places, venues, trail-heads, etc. the Toy just can't (or shouldn't) go.

Here is my choice: A Toy or a small 5th-Wheel - think Scamp 19' or Escape 5.0 - that I can tow with my pickup truck and then leave set up at camp while I take off exploring.

Interestingly, both the Scamp and the Escape have followings that are every bit as dedicated and enthusiastic as Toy owners. Could it be that smaller size has some bearing on attitudes? ;-)

Here is my question: How do Toy owners deal with the daily necessities of life on the road, or with the siren call of nearby attractions beyond the range of bicyles (or in cold/rainy weather) or when you need to schlep some gear for a hobby/activity - is this an issue for you? How do you work around having to take your house and home "everywhere" you want to go?

Edited by Micasalay

Obviously the Toy can't really tow much of anything. I am speaking here of the 'dinghys' that can be used for running errands such as quick trips to the market or pharmacy as well as for day trips exploring nearby attractions, scenic drives, hikes, etc. Disengaging from a nicely set up campsite time after time for one of these jaunts seems like a hassle, and there are places, venues, trail-heads, etc. the Toy just can't (or shouldn't) go.

Welcome Micasalay!,

Our family of four (two small children) is planning a trip across Canada for 2015 with our 89 Dolphin. We have contemplated many options, but my love of Toyota’s has always won out, so this might be a little biased. Our goal is to see everything we can and make many trips through the busy city’s and day trips to the little markets and events. Also we need more storage. The solution for us is to make the Toyota capable of towing a small car (Ford Festiva or Chevy Sprint type). To do this you MUST to do two things. First is beef-up the rear frame. (It’s not meant to pull anything as-is) We will re-build it from the rear spring hanger back. Second is adding to the braking power. We will use a tow-dolly with electric brakes (could change, but this is the top idea at the time).

We are also doing an engine swap to a newer V6 from the next model year up. It has a bit more HP and Torque and is also a bit more responsive to upgrades, but it is not needed, just you will need to drive a little slower and expect to be crawling up hills.

Hope it helps!

Andrew.

When setting up for home base, I use drive on ramps for leveling. To make a side trip, town, or sites I unplug, take off hose, close the awning, set out our site occupied (so no one thinks we abandoned or chairs, cords, and hose) takes less than 2 min. to be closed up and be ready to head out. Upon return we just back onto the leveling ramps, plug in, conect hose, get a cold drink and relax. There have been no restrants, stores or sites which we were unable to drive in and park ( 2 spots)

A toyhome is easyer and shorter than any 5th wheel/truck, this makes it easy to make a unplaned stop when you see something of interest. (fresh cherry pie at a Michigan road side stand :ThumbUp: )

The good thing about toyhouses is you don't really need a dingy, since the toy can be driven/parked nearly any place you might want to go. I have regularly driven mine to work just to give it some exercise.

It is definitely easier to maneuver than a 5th wheel, but, if I was going to do an extended trip and I already had a perfectly good truck, I would look at the 5th wheels.

Have you given any thought to a small hybrid travel trailer? A 17' or 19' trailer could easily be towed with a cargo or conversion van for your vacations and stored fairly easy when not in use and you won't have to haul around a house to job sites.

I have travelled with a small (18) 5th wheel and now have a 21' Sunrader with a 4 cyl motor. I get better milage with the Sunrader than I did with the pickup that I used to tow the 5th wheel. When we park, we just use stacking blocks (thing giant legos) to level and don't bother to put jackstands down, as it is pretty solid just sitting on tis six wheels. We tend to dry camp, so the most that we have to do to run an errand is push in the step, shut the vents and roll.

Personally, I much prefer the sunrader to what I had with a pickup and a 5th wheel. The only big advantage of the 5th wheel was that it was easier to carry more junk with us when we travelled, but we tend to expand to fill the available space.

Good luck.