Following Waiters post i went to Zephyer Hills and bought the last two 6 bolt dual wheels he had. He still has the complete rear axle assy,when i was there the other day it still had the springs attached.His computer tells him the axle ratio is 3.90 ,i thought all the full floating ones were 4.10.

It is at Rigsby auto salvage 1 800 231 2013 no afilliation with these folks but they wre ok to deal with.

He only has the axle assy he does not have any other parts of the vehicle it came from. Don

Edited by Oldiesel

Don, Good deal. When I first contacted him about a rim, he was really willing to deal on that axle.

I bet someone could get it for a few hundred bucks if they talked turkey.

I now have two spare tires that are mounted on the rims, Ready for the Alaska trip.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

John

Yes i agree,i think someone would be able to buy that axle for very little money. He was pleased that you had posted the availability of the wheels and axle. He told me he really didnt think much of it when you told him you would post it as most people he deals with are full of BS and he was able to sell all of the wheels in a relativly short time as a direct result of your posting. Don

As far as I know, MOST 1-ton axles in motorhomes are 4.10:1. Some are 4.30:1. Can't comment on what's typical in 1-Ton flatbeds or U-Haul trucks. The only 4.30:1 axles I've heard about appear to be fitted to '93, '94 Winnebagos. Perhaps they ordered a batch that way.

when i ran the axle codes on my 1987 Cab/chassis it came up as a 3.90

I was under the impression that all these vehicles were sold as cab/chassis from toyota dealer, than converted to motorhomes my the MH manufacturer, or U hauls by the u haul people, and private partys bought them and put flatbeds on them, so did toyota offer multiple gearing options or did the MH and U haul people change the gearing

Well, as far as I know, the door stickers showing the axle codes are factory installed, so I think it would be the 'Fleet Managers' to spec whatever they wanted from the options list.

Is your 3.90:1 in a motorhome? Or do I vaguely remember that you have a flatbed? I think someone on here has one.

Well, as far as I know, the door stickers showing the axle codes are factory installed, so I think it would be the 'Fleet Managers' to spec whatever they wanted from the options list.

Is your 3.90:1 in a motorhome? Or do I vaguely remember that you have a flatbed? I think someone on here has one.

Yeah, I have the flatbed. was originally sold as just a cab / chassis ( cab and frame) as i think all these rigs are. somebody added the 6' x 9' Knapheide flatbed at a later date

if i am not mistaken the VIN on most of these is JT5RN75XXXXXXXXXX that is a cab / chassis VIN, the MH was added later

my ins. company hates that VIN, according to them Toyota never made a truck with a JT5 VIN

somebody on here posted a link to a site that explains all the codes, that placard that explains the axle code is actually riveted onto the firewall, not on the door jam

Edited by elderthewelder

Yes, I've posted links to the axle codes. Earlier Toyotas had the plaques on the firewall, later it's a decal on the door post. As I said before, I THINK all 1-Ton axled motorhomes were 4.10:1 or 4.30:1. I think some earlier 'homes had the 3.90:1. Possibly only '70s 20R?