Reverse Tail Lights Don't Work!

Sunrader 81

Hello all!

My 1981 Toyota Sunrader's reverse lights do not work! I checked the bulbs, they are in good shape. I have checked the fuses (both under the steering wheel, and in the back near the water tank) and they look okay (though I'm no expert). I also took the plastic plates off of the tail lights and all the wires back there are pretty dusty, but seem to be connected. On the driver's side the wire coming out of the bulb is connected to a different colored wire by some kind of connector. Could this be the problem? What else can I try?

Thanks in advance, you are all so helpful.

Sunrader 81

Do the tail lights, turn signals, and brake lights work OK? Does the License Plate light work OK?

You need to purchase and learn how to use an inexpensive volt/ohm meter. There just simply is no other way of troubleshooting electrical problems without one.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Or a test light. There is a switch on the transmission needs power going in and power coming out when in reverse.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=996 has some wiring diagrams, the winebago one is better than the sunrader one

Put your volt ohm meter on VDC range 20V, it does not matter if you put the red probe backwards on the ground, it will just give you a negative reading, but you should put the black to ground IE frame metal or the outer part of the light socket. Put your red probe on the center of the light socket & you should read around 12 volts if there is power to the socket.

With the ignition key in the run position and the shifter in reverse you should have 12 volts at the light socket. If not then work your way back to the fuse that protects that circuit and look for power there. Also look to see if you are getting power at the transmission reverse switch. Check both sides of each switch and fuse to see if power is only getting to them but not through them. IE red probe to both sides of switch and black probe to frame.

Looks like you really need the Toyota wiring diagram not the sunrader one. Looking in my 88 toyota truck diagram I see a wire colored G-L (=green with blue) coming from the turn hazard switch (dash) and back to the engine fuse where it turns to a red wire. At that junction it splits off red toward the back up switch located at the transmission (shift colume?). This circuit seems to get it power from the Haz-horn fuse 15 amp, From the reverse switch it turns to a red blue wire then a red white wire to the 2 back up lights. If your horn and turn signals work your fuse is good for the back up lights.