4x4 Chinook Project Pop Top

Galvanized Knight

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally had a chance to check it out Lance. Looks super simple, the way I like things.

From the video it looks like it is just general adhesive backed foam, is that correct? How did you attach the coach to the cab to get a good seal? My Newport has metal plates on either side, in the shape of the cut out, which I didn't see in yours. The cabover of my coach is also cut out so those plates may have been necessary to add strength and rigidity to the fiberglass. Not sure if I'll leave the walk through - it would be nice - or glass it over like Baja's. Guess I'll see how you make out!

I also noticed a nice looking trim/sealer piece on the exterior of your rig at the coach/cab interface. What did you use for that?

Good tunes in the video, who is that? Look forward to part 2 and progress on the project.

Kevin

It is truck canopy weather stripping. That is the trim sealer piece I re used from the original Chinook. It s a L shape rubber piece that is sprung against the camper and riveted to the truck..The couch is not really attached to the cab, its press up against it extremely tight and I weld two new couch mounts as close to the cab as possible and bolted it down tight. I have about 5000miles on it so far have not noticed any leakage or terrible squeaking. I have searched for a great new sealer /trim but no luck yet. The music is Ratatat Classics Motanita , great tunes! I like the pass through and here in BC its has to be done to register it as a RV. With no pass through it is much quieter in the cab.

Lance

Nice work galvanizedknight! I live just over the border in Whitefish MT and am picking up a gutted chinook this week- some great inspiration here.

Thank you. I cant wait to see your project, please post pictures soon. I think Krj is from Whitefish as well.

Lance

• 3 weeks later...

Any progress? I like the direction of your build, look forward to the interior build out. Also have lots of friends in missoula if you need a driveway to camp for the concert let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Any progress? I like the direction of your build, look forward to the interior build out. Also have lots of friends in missoula if you need a driveway to camp for the concert let me know.

We have made progress on the camper and have got to camp in the mock up interior a few times. My girlfriend and I made a few design changes based on what we learned from camping in the mock up. It looks like we'll have to miss Ratatat this time around. Both of us are very busy at work and just cant make it work out : ( Once I get my girlfriend camera I have alot more pictures on the build and from camping to post.

Clay i do really appreciate your hospitality.

Lance

I have skimmmed through your thread and Chinook reno and to say the least I am impressed and Tony-jeol!

Nice work to date.

The more time i spend on this site since i bought my chinook, the more I realize a teardown/build-out is in my future.

:ThumbUp:

Thanks . Just remember a teardown/rebuild will cost you 3 times as much and take 3 times as long as you think. lol

IMG_4084.jpg?psid=1IMG_4045.jpg?psid=1

So we are still testing the mock up layout of the chinook. We've gone camping twice now with this layout, once to Kootenanny Festival in Creston BC. What a mess without drawers! but the bed is comfortable.

Kootenanny Information

Google Map of the Kootenanny Grounds

and once to the Christina Lake.

Google Map of Christina Lake

IMG_3765.jpg?psid=1

IMG_3750.jpg?psid=1

• 1 month later...

Radiant heat! Man, you put me to shame.

I did gut the inside of mine and tried to keep with the classic look (shag carpet, ect). However, my layout for the original Chinook was like the one you provided in the pics in the brochure. But there is an earlier model that has a slightly different layout which has a bed going the length of the cab instead of going across the cab. I had the "across the cab" layout at first, but I found it was very difficult to get any sleep cause you had to crunch up your legs, and couldn't stretch out fully. That really bugged me, specially if you have a gf w/you or something, it's really annoying. So, when I gutted and remodeled I went for the long bed layout from the older model. I am REALLY glad I went with this layout. I have another buddy of mine who owns a Chinook and he has the older model layout and he said he just couldn't swing it with the layout that I have. If you have the long bed layout, you can also pull out another board and have a very cumfy queen size (or maybe even small king size) bed.

Good luck on the remodeling. Looking great! Really like the insulation idea.

Cheers!

George101,

My original layout was the bed down the long side but we decided to go with the across layout. I found that while the bed was folded down longways you really couldn't access the storage of the Chinook or access the fridge. So on a raining day you have fold up the bed to cook, clean and just hang out. I did prefer the bigger bed of the longways layout though. I did redo the walls a little so my overall interior width is slightly more then stock ( 5' 9" - 5' 10" ) and 39" wide , I am 5' 9.5", so if we are both sleeping in it, it is a little tight . My girlfriend and I have gone camping with the new cross ways layout quite a few times. At first I thought I made a big mistake with the cross ways layout but we've got use to it and I enjoy being able to cook breakfast or access all my storage while one of us still hangs out in bed. Normally we leave the bed down the entire time we go camping. If you are any taller then me then cross-ways is going to be uncomfortable for sure. How are you doing the heating in your Chinook? Did you post any picture of your interior renovation? I did think of trying to install toilet and black water tank but I never came up with a good layout with a bathroom that didn't eat up all the storage space. Thanks a lot for your comments, I cant wait to see some pictures of your build!

Lance

So I have not made much head way as far as the renovations go but we have got to camp in it a bunch ( research!) thumbup.gif

Harrison Lake was one of our recent camp outs for 3 days and 3 nights. We 4x4'ed up to Clear Creek Hot Springs. Here is some pictures.

West%20Coast%20Firewood.JPG?psid=1

West Coast Firewood

Dirty%20Chinook.JPG?psid=1

Harrison Lake ( Clear Creek Hot Springs)

Clothes%20Line.JPG?psid=1

Clothes Line

Camping%20at%20Clear%20Creek.JPG?psid=1

Peace and Quite. You would have a hard time driving up here without a 4x4

Us%20at%20Clear%20Creek.JPG?psid=1

Us and Hot Springs

It was a great time. Only 3 or 4 others show up over those 3 days but no one but us camped over night.

Here is a snap of us camping near a river flowing out of Cristina Lake

River%20from%20Cristina%20Lake.JPG?psid=1

I have had to do a lot of mechanical maintenance on the Chinook. U joints, Tie Rods, Loose Tranny Mount, Front brakes. I want to also put a new clutch in it soon and well and replace the rear leafs. The rough Country Leaves are far to weak for the weight of the Chinook. For anyone who is wondering about weight our Chinook fill with gear and a passenger weighs 830kg (1830lbs) on the front axle and 1400kg (3090lbs) on the rear axle.

Also lately I met Corey from Toyotafiberglass.com (Precision 4x4 Center ) in Penticton BC. Corey builds all kinds of toyota parts oem style and custom he also just finished an amazing Toyota trekker build, his 70 page!!! forum over the last 4 years is amazing worth the read toyotatrekker.com . I spent a few hours at his shop checking out his projects and fiberglass. I endded up ordering some high clearance fenders for my chinook these imagesHPIM0037.jpg are from his toyotafiberglass.com site my fenders will be ready some time mid august. I think they will look great over my 33x12.5's. I'll post pictures when i get them mounted. I am stoked about the fenders!thumbup.gif

Nice dude! Corey is the man. I ordered some fiberglass parts for my 84 4runner last year.

What year is your green truck in the pic?

I wish that green truck was mine! I just posted it as an example of the fenders. I believe the green truck is a 1982 or 1983. I have a 83 shortbed 4x4, its stock and I use it as a work truck at the shop. I can't wait to Corey finishes my fenders, hopefully the 18th or 19th of august. I'll give them a couple coats of tremclad semi gloss white and they'll match my truck perfectly.

Oh man. That's intense! Haha. 4wheelin in the Chinook. Best of both worlds right there.

Is that a regular chinook engine? 20r? I don't know if my 20r would have it in her to pull some of that stuff off. haha.

Oh man. That's intense! Haha. 4wheelin in the Chinook. Best of both worlds right there.

Is that a regular chinook engine? 20r? I don't know if my 20r would have it in her to pull some of that stuff off. haha.

Yep, 95 horses of awesome. 4 low does amazing things! That engine is from the 1980 Toyota hilux. I think the 1976 chinook may have a RV cam in it but I don't know? maybe someone out there does.

• 3 months later...

Rick in Colorado signing in. I have owned a few running Chinooks over the years and own 4 now in various stages of disrepair. I have an 87 Toyota 4x4 with a bad engine, a 85 Toyota 2WD Turbo automatic, a Mitsubishi 4x4 Turbo diesel and am aquiring a Toyota 4x4 Custom cab so I have a few projects. Just trying to decide what platform to build my Chinook 4x4 onto. Probably going to start with the 87 and the cleanest Chinook so I can get on the road fast and not have to touch the interior of the camper but I hope to put the turbo engine into the custom cab and slap on the gutted Chinook and build a custom interior like you are doing. I would appreciate any info you can provide. Contact info would be great! Thanks and your project looks fantastic! Rick

• 3 weeks later...

Rick in Colorado signing in. I have owned a few running Chinooks over the years and own 4 now in various stages of disrepair. I have an 87 Toyota 4x4 with a bad engine, a 85 Toyota 2WD Turbo automatic, a Mitsubishi 4x4 Turbo diesel and am aquiring a Toyota 4x4 Custom cab so I have a few projects. Just trying to decide what platform to build my Chinook 4x4 onto. Probably going to start with the 87 and the cleanest Chinook so I can get on the road fast and not have to touch the interior of the camper but I hope to put the turbo engine into the custom cab and slap on the gutted Chinook and build a custom interior like you are doing. I would appreciate any info you can provide. Contact info would be great! Thanks and your project looks fantastic! Rick

Thanks Rick. Myself I would keep the chassis and drive train as simple as possible. The 87 does sound like your best choice. You ll need a single cab longbed to keep the frame unmodified. I reinforced my frame because with the Chinook and gear the rear end weighs 3000 plus pounds. The non- turbo 20r has not failed me yet but sometimes i do wish for more power. You can message me through this forum or email thehumanelite at hotmail dot com

Please start a post so we can watch your progress!

Hey Lance, what you got cooking for spring plans? I really liked how you tested out a mock interior to refine your ideas. Look forward to reading more in the future.

Rick,

Sounds like you're a toyota nutcase! You got place for all these yotas? Agree, Please start a post on your project.

Stay toasty with that radiated subfloor,

Steve

Bajadulce,

No real plans yet. Work has been too busy to make any progress on my project. I am taking the Chinook out for a mini adventure today. Just insured it for 3 months which is about 180$ here in British Columbia. I hope to start working on my campiner soon. I have to do some maintenance first before I go any further with the renovation. The Chinook needs a clutch, axle seals and u joints. I also want to revamp the exhaust system and maybe add a gas tank. I have been buying lots of goodies for the Chinook though; inverter, batteries, compressor , I 'll have to spread it all out and take a picture for all of you. hopefully if i get the time I want to make a video of a walk through of the Chinook interior and exterior.

bajadulce how is your sunraider coming? Last picture i saw you had your ladder on top of it doing some siding lol.

Lance

• 3 weeks later...

Updates... I brought the Chinook in the shop. thawed it out. and got to work today.

Jan%2022%202012%20Cabinet.JPG?psid=1

I am now removing the mock up cabinets

jan%2022%202012%20mock%20up%20rear%20drivers%20cabinets.JPG?psid=1

jan%2022%202012%20mock%20up%20drives%20rear.JPG?psid=1

Measure. cut. screw

jan%2022%202012%20table%20saw.JPG?psid=1

Jan%2022%202012%20Kreg%20Pocket%20Hole%20Jig.JPG?psid=1

I used a Kreg pocket hole screws to assemble this cabinet.

01%2022%202012%20Drivers%20side%20rear%20cabinet.JPG?psid=1

01%2022%202012%20drivers%20Rear%20Cabinet.JPG?psid=1

Here are the new rear cabinets, still needs and face plate and drawers . These will house the sink, stove and mechanical room. some drawer space too.

After dinner I may go back and work on them some more.

• 2 weeks later...