Board running slow - Is it the Shoutbox or is it something else

Gulfstream Greg

OK the board has been running slow for awhile now. And just in the last couple of days I and others have been getting "Time Out" errors.

Waiter suggests that it may be the shoutbox causing all the trouble. It does have a refresh rate.

So I will put the shoutbox in an offline state starting Thursday Feb 24 sometime in the evening PST and see if that has any effect.

I would appreciate any and all comments and what you - The user have been experiencing recently and in the past weeks and months. And if anyone out there has any ideas please bring them forward. My past trouble tickets with GoDaddy have resulted in pointing the finger at the database.

The software being used here is Invision Power Board. Its not one of the flaky free software's out there. It is mainstream. I am a member on many sites running this software and non of them run as slow as here. So something is amiss.

I have contacted GoDaddy before about this. They claimed the data base was the problem and they ran some fixes but it did not work. Invision Power Services (the makers of Invision Power Board) Always kinda shake their head when I mention that the site is hosted on GoDaddy.

Greg.

From the Main forums screen, where the Shoutbox is, it is taking about 12 seconds when I hit the "General Discussion".

Took about 4 seconds to load the Editor when I hit Add reply

It took about 22 seconds when I hit "Post" (I'm editing my post to add this line)

Only took about 2 seconds to save my edit changes

I have "timed out" so often, thus loseing my text responce that I have taken to putting the text into a wordpad and pasting it into the responce area. Seems to be worse when I first get here.

IPS is pretty streamlined software and would agree not the cause of your issues. I too am using the same shoutbox on my own forums but am not experiencing these problems (tho I do have shoutbox only available for members so that might help some with less strain from visitors) My refresh rate is set to 30 btw if that helps any. Yes, occasionally my boards suffer from some slow times as well, but that prob can be expected with almost any server. Your suspicion that GoDaddy is the culprit would seem logical due to the inconsistent nature of the problem.

What ever happen to Lonex you were using? Did the site grow too big or was it too expensive? I think we (3 of us) that run our site pay $20 each a year ($65 for business plan). but not too sure on that.

Seems slower in the primetime evenings (8pmish)

I have not had the dreaded time out today and everything seems to work at its normal (kind of slow) speed, but it works...

Shout looks like its turned off, but board is still very very slow. almost 30 seconds from the main page to the forums page. about 15 seconds from forum to general.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Glad you are sailing along Waiter, for me today if I post something it stalls, thinks about it for awhile, then decides if it will post it or send be to "can not be found land". I have found it best to get off explorer then come back and then I seem to get here

Also if I try to edit a post it is almost a 100% chance it will decide to stall. Then if I hit the back button it flat cant find the website. So it looks like waiter is hogging all the electrons today...

OK so earlier my Internet Explorer died. I tracked it down to Norton's tool bar running in internet explorer. Anyhow even after that I could not get the discussion board to load. I just got "Page cannot be displayed". So I switched over to Firefox and the board instantly loaded (its march 1 at 9:15 pst). Then I re-tried IE and it instantly loaded.

Big change for me at this moment is the Norton Tool Bar is turned off in IE. It Is on in Firefox though. I will test Chrome sometime later.

If everyone can please test when the board is running slow using different browsers such as Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer. As of right now both IE and Firefox are lightning fast. (posted from Firefox)

I run FireFox, Speed seems inconsistent, I'm thinking it could be loading, seems when I check in late or very early seems faster, during the day, slow, but occasional daytime is fast !!!

Got me.

If you have Cpanel, maybe check MySQL database maintenace for table repair, etc.

Do a backup while your in there.

As waiter describes, it's very inconsistent. Sometimes its "normal speed" other times it's equivalent to surfing with the old 16K dial up modem days! :)

inconsistent speeds just seems to point to your host.

This morning was very, very slow. about 7am EST - It now seems normal, 10:45 am

This has got to be a host problem, their pipe is full during peak hours.

Have you looked into other providers? I use ace-host and justhost. I'll be moving my ace-host sites over to justhost when my current contract with them expires

My finger is pointed at hosting also. Got almost two years left on the plan though. I used to host the site on Lonex.com's servers. I kept getting a warning from them that I was using to many server cycles per day. Thats when I moved to GoDaddy. I use Lonex for all our domain hosting at work and have allways been happy with them. I have considered moving back but they are about twice the cost per year compared to GoDaddy. I will think it over this weekend and may make the move.

OK, made the decision. moving the board back to lonex. This is unfortunately a 2 part move. I also have to move the classifieds as they are also sitting on toyotamotorhome.org. All should go well but it will be a bit time consuming. So you all may find that we are offline for several hours during the move. And because of DNS propagation it could easily be 24 plus hours before the site comes back to life. When? not sure, evening of one day next week if I see that I have a chunk of hours I can throw at it.

Lonex is a great host for the small Computer AI site that I am part of, but they sometimes bark at us when we get huge spikes in traffic. This doesn't happen too often, but occasionally we get hit pretty hard when a big gaming site decides to spotlight something we've done. We are only using the business plan btw (not sure the exact numbers in terms of traffic and uploads, but we have on a few occasions had the boards temporarily shut down due to high traffic). You might want to check your current traffic stats carefully and see where you stand in relation to their different hosting plans. Might be a bit pricey if you need one of their more commercial plans.

Lonex is a great host for the small Computer AI site that I am part of, but they sometimes bark at us when we get huge spikes in traffic. This doesn't happen too often, but occasionally we get hit pretty hard when a big gaming site decides to spotlight something we've done. We are only using the business plan btw (not sure the exact numbers in terms of traffic and uploads, but we have on a few occasions had the boards temporarily shut down due to high traffic). You might want to check your current traffic stats carefully and see where you stand in relation to their different hosting plans. Might be a bit pricey if you need one of their more commercial plans.

I have the Enterprise plan. Everything is unlimited including traffic. But they do have a cap on CPU usage. It is set at 7%. That is where I ran into trouble before. I had been running the Business package and the CPU cap is much lower. Hopefully now there will not be a problem. The board being a database driven site can cause spikes in cpu usage if something gets fowled up. Hopefully IPS can look at the data base and unfowl any thing that might be amiss.

Have you already made the switch back to Lonex? The boards performance seems to have improved dramatically (at least today (Mar 13)).

Any plans on returning the shoutbox if this is the case? I like the shoutbox for little things like this in which you want to share things like this (board performance) without starting a thread.

Thnx for hosting the forums. I enjoy the community here.

• 1 month later...

Can't believe you guys used GoDaddy. /me shakes head

Its all about that green dollar bill! Godaddy has kept us alive with low rates for the last couple of years. Nothing is free including this software for the discussion board. Those dollars have to come from somewhere and go somewhere to keep us online. At the time because those $$ where in short supply GoDaddy being really cheap for two years got the check. We will make the transition back to Lonex, but they are twice the cost for just one year so it maybe that one day the plug for this site will get yanked out of the wall and its lights will go out.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Screaming speed this afternoon. very fast

I have NEVER seen screaming speed. This site is frustrating to the point of dissuading people from posting anything. I'm sure we would have a much livelier board if this ran well.

It won't let me upload anything but a 150x150 pic no matter where I do it. It's always sloooooow. It just told me, though I was signed in, that I did not have permission to click a + green button. I signed out and back in and tried it again and was told that I had already reached my quota for clicking + green buttons.

Its all about that green dollar bill! Godaddy has kept us alive with low rates for the last couple of years. Nothing is free including this software for the discussion board. Those dollars have to come from somewhere and go somewhere to keep us online. At the time because those $ where in short supply GoDaddy being really cheap for two years got the check. We will make the transition back to Lonex, but they are twice the cost for just one year so it maybe that one day the plug for this site will get yanked out of the wall and its lights will go out.

Users should give a little green to the site. I did earlier this year when I bought my Toy. It seems right to support something that is this helpful. I'll bet that the site has saved everyone some real money with the shared advice.

I believe in a lot of people doing a little bit. That can generate enough green to keep us playin' here. Please do donate something!

Its all about that green dollar bill! Godaddy has kept us alive with low rates for the last couple of years. Nothing is free including this software for the discussion board. Those dollars have to come from somewhere and go somewhere to keep us online. At the time because those $ where in short supply GoDaddy being really cheap for two years got the check. We will make the transition back to Lonex, but they are twice the cost for just one year so it maybe that one day the plug for this site will get yanked out of the wall and its lights will go out.

also... have you looked into Lunarpages? They are very reasonable and are very reliable and fast. I used them for some years.