Power for a couple seconds, no power for one, then power, then no...

I've had this problem before, and don't know if this is related.

(87 Dolphin 22RE)

A couple months back I had a post that I had power for a couple seconds then it felt sort of like the power died off, then power, then died off. I experienced it first when going up a slightly steeper hill, but it was a Texas hill, so it was only perhaps 1/4 mile long. Not bad at all. Then it kept doing it on level roads thereafter.

Derek Up North suggested I check my transmission fluid. Wow he hit the nail on the head. My trans fluid was low. Since then it has worked great, until recently.

We went on a 60 mile trip. 30 out and 30 back.

30 miles out the Toy was great. Kind of still getting use to the low power... It's almost grossly low power and I have a very light foot.

30 miles back the first 15 were fine, then it started again...

Power for a couple seconds, then its like I felt it "die off" then power again, then "die off".

The intervals were like 2 seconds of power to a half second of "mush". It happened at highway speeds and while going up a hill.

I got on the service road after that and everything seemed fine. When I got home, I checked the transmission fluid and it was good.

I don't know if this is a symptom of a fuel filter or fuel pump, but I don't know if either has been changed. (76k miles)

(if it is a symptom of this I'm planning on relocating the fuel filter if possible, if a fuel pump is there a way to fix at home?)

But anyway, I have no idea what it could be.

I've changed many tune up parts, but not the coil pack (but it looks newer).

Any pointers are highly appreciated. It try to do all my mechanic work, and my 2 sons aged 8 & 6 are right there learning with me rebuilding this thing.

Thanks

***EDIT - Also one other thing, I have the stock fuel tank on the ground right now because I wanted to fix the sending unit. It's fixed and I left it out to see if I would need a new fuel pump (if that's one of the symptoms). Is there a way for me to test it? Also if I do need one, what's the opinion of the ones sold on ebay. If you type in 1987 toyota pickup fuel pump, they have some for $59 plus shipping (OEM)& it comes with a strainer. Thanks!

Edited by crasster

Dumb question but, you not dropping in and out of overdrive are you??

I assume the rpms are the same, just the power is dropping off like you let off the gas??

Fuel pickup, is this with a full tank of gas??

Dumb question but, you not dropping in and out of overdrive are you??

I assume the rpms are the same, just the power is dropping off like you let off the gas??

Fuel pickup, is this with a full tank of gas??

Well I did a couple of times, but not during the problem ;o)

The tank had about 10 gallons in it. Not full, but not empty.

Just read your edit, If you have the tank out, I would replace the pump and sock. (pulling the tank costs more than the pump)

You don't have water in the tank do you???

It sounds like a filter is clogged??

When your problem happened did the engine rev up or did the engine rpm decrese? Increased rpm = tran problem : Decresed rpm = engine problem Narow the problem down to a system, then within that system narow the problem down untill you find the fix. A fuel filter is good maint. and is good to replace anyway, but beyond the simple (ie: cheaper to replace than time to diagnose) find out what is failing before replacing to many parts.

If some one put a filter on the fender well I would question that, your fuel system runs about 35 pounds of fuel pressure so it better be a good one no plastic filters or rubber lines. The Toyota filter is located under the intake manifold with high pressure fittings and a metal filter. I agree with the rest of the guys it sounds like a fuel pressure issue either pump, filter or both.

They have a very similiar filter on 97 Camry. Toyota calls it a "LifeTime" filter. (Camry uses a flare on the bottom fitting, other than that, exact same filter)

I'm curious as to why someone went to a lot of trouble to put that filter on the fender. I know its a real PITA to replace it, but odds are real good, that filter will never be replaced again.

Which brings me to my followup question.

If that filter was replaced once, why does it need replacing again. Is there contamination in the tank.

You said you had the tank off to replace the level sensor. what did the inside look like, dirt, sand?

What did the sock look like?

Did you replace the pump and sock when you had the tank off (I would)

Seriously, these are very good filters and they should easily last 150,000 with no problems (My Camry with over 230,000, filter was still clear, even though I did replace it)

They have a very similiar filter on 97 Camry. Toyota calls it a "LifeTime" filter. (Camry uses a flare on the bottom fitting, other than that, exact same filter)

I'm curious as to why someone went to a lot of trouble to put that filter on the fender. I know its a real PITA to replace it, but odds are real good, that filter will never be replaced again.

Which brings me to my followup question.

If that filter was replaced once, why does it need replacing again. Is there contamination in the tank.

You said you had the tank off to replace the level sensor. what did the inside look like, dirt, sand?

What did the sock look like?

Did you replace the pump and sock when you had the tank off (I would)

Seriously, these are very good filters and they should easily last 150,000 with no problems (My Camry with over 230,000, filter was still clear, even though I did replace it)

Well I had the tank down because the fuel gauge was not working and I wanted to check the sending unit. The sending unit was dead locked with rust. In fact, I could not even physically move it without fear of bending the metal. So what my sons and I did was soak it in WD-40 for about an hour. Then we took a light duty wire brush to the outside rust. It began moving. We disassembled the unit completely and soaked it again. Then we cleaned it up real good & got all the rust off the unit. Believe it or not it cleaned up REAL good. This was something I wanted to do anyway, but then started thinking of the fuel pump (was considering my problem was the filter).

A small dim light bulb went off in my head saying "duh, that may be the problem".

I don't believe there are many contaminates in the fuel tank, the screen on the pump was pretty clean. I poked a flashlight in the tank and for the most part it was pretty clean as well.

I do believe it to be the original pump because of the date posted on it. Probably good to change it anyway.

Oh and by the way guys, the filter is the metal kind. Looks like they used some kind of high pressure tubing to move it over to the fender area. There are a few sites that describe how to do it on the 22re.

I'll let you guys know what happens. I'm trying to get as many photos as I can and then one day I'll sit down and post them all. ;o)

Great.

Yah, change the pump if the tank is still off. If the old one still works, run a little oil through it, put it in a plastic bag, and save it as a spare. odds are, you'll never need it. :-)

The fact that the sender was rusty isn't a good sign. The small rust could easily have gotten by the sock but it won't get past the filter. This also indicates that there was a lot of moisture in the tank (storing for long periods with low / empty tank)

If you run across the articles describing the filter re-location, please post them. Derek and I would be interested. :rolleyes:

Be sure to incorporate a trap door in your coach floor so that when you (n)ever have to change the spare pump in the future, you'll be able to do it without having to drop the tank. :watsup:

Some cars have an access panel under the back seat with an access panel so that you can do just this. My '93 Infiniti G20 did and it sure made it easier to replace the pump in February with no garage available! :ThumbUp:

Here is a small thread on another site of the filter relocation and where they put it. Mine is similar.

-Filter Relocation-

Too bad the shipper from Ebay is slow, but the BRAND NEW pump was about $26 bucks with a lifetime warranty. Lots of great feedback on the guy too. Gotta love Ebay. The mega parts store wanted $139.99 with a 1 year.

• 3 weeks later...

Crasster, is your toy still running strong? I'm having the same sort of problem, and wanted an update from ya.

Crasster, is your toy still running strong? I'm having the same sort of problem, and wanted an update from ya.

Well knocking on wood, it's running fine. With the pump & filter change it seemed to make the problem vanish.

On my rig I've done so much, can't wait to post a bunch of photos. We are painting it right now.

If I was in your spot, make sure you have good spark, clean oil, fresh gas, good filter. Then move on to the pump if that doesn't work.