Hot water heater alternatives?

Do you mean like this?

http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Water-Heaters-Point-Of-Use/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbqo7/R-100137868/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

It's 2000w/110v, so I suppose if you were happy to plug in to either shore power or a large generator it would work. Not the best solution for boondocking.

I tore out my h2o heater and saved it for reinstall before selling. I didn't want to haul around the weight of the heater and 6 gallons of water in the tank. The extra space is great for a bin with the pots and pans.

I put 14,000 miles and spent 50+/- nites in my camper and never used the hot water heater. When we boondocked for a month in Colorado we never stayed at a campground. So we had to be stingy on water use [ only 17 gallon fresh tank]. At Salida and Bueno Vista where we stayed there were plenty of places to shower for a fee [2$]. The best was a laundry mat that had clean showers and wi fi.

I have thought about installing an instant heat 120v heater and just running the generator. Maybe someday. They do make tankless water heaters that run off of propane. This would make the most sense if you don't have a generator. I have seen some that were ment for permanent install in places such as a rustic cabin.

yes :first:

the person selling it to me this week is an electrician and said someting about an extra breaker not in use that he was going to hook it up to. this will be my first toyota motorhome, so I will take any advice you can spare . if I had to, where would I buy the original one for a huntsman? thanks to all replies.:ThumbUp:

Do you mean like this?

http://www.homedepot...catalogId=10053

It's 2000w/110v, so I suppose if you were happy to plug in to either shore power or a large generator it would work. Not the best solution for boondocking.

many thanks. I was looking at this one:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=6+gallon+propane+water+heater&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=2381696296685055935&ei=6mM_TaOKEY60sAOhzJzVBQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CGgQ8wIwAQ#

They're pretty generic. I don't know what would have originally been installed, but propane powered hot water heaters are available on EBay, online and at RV dealers. You'll have to measure the space available for installation, but my guess is you'd be looking for a 6 gallon unit.

They make instant propane water heaters but they take up a far amount of room and they have to be vented. A lot of camp grounds frown on big power usage so that is some thing to think about actually a lot of them here in the north east really don't like you to use electric space heaters. Me I would get a stock propane one they use very little gas and work well your only problem is where to mount it they sit in kind of backwards and vent out the outside face, good with a jig saw?