The front window (the cabover window, long skinny one) has a couple cracks. I want to replace this window

I have a couple options.

1) replacement Acrylic (plexiglass) window.

2) make a Lexan window (it will never break, but optical quality isn't as good as acrylic.

3) replace with a sheet of metal painted black to look like a window. Guarantee never break, Optical qualities really, really bad.:rolleyes:

the window is approximately 10x56 inches

Anybody got a source for a replacement ???

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

The front window (the cabover window, long skinny one) has a couple cracks. I want to replace this window

I have a couple options.

1) replacement Acrylic (plexiglass) window.

2) make a Lexan window (it will never break, but optical quality isn't as good as acrylic.

3) replace with a sheet of metal painted black to look like a window. Guarantee never break, Optical qualities really, really bad.:rolleyes:

the window is approximately 10x56 inches

Anybody got a source for a replacement ???

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

For what it's worth, i've had three "cabover" type motorhomes now, including the Dolphin '84 we now own. I had a bunk window replaced same for same once - it had been shot out with a pellet gun - with auto safety glass. It had to be fabricated by a glass shop. I brought in the frame and they did the rest. As an afterthought I wish I had made a "false window" like your option #3, only with the inside being insulated and finished or paneled. Never had much use for the "cold" window in the sleeping area. Also, I like it dark at night for sleeping. I guess the safety glass component could have been any suitable material, or even glass spray painted black on the inside, then insulated?

I'm considering having all my cabin windows darkened (thinking Lazydaze style) and replacing one of my 4 roof vents - the one where the roof a/c was - with a skylight in the 14" x 14" hole.

Fred3

• 2 weeks later...

Do newer RVs and fifth wheels have windows in the forward portion of the cab?

The fact that this forward cab wall always has some sort of pitch, means that basically this is a window on the "roof" of your RV. Compound this with the fact that it sees 60+ mph wind, and you have what amounts to hurricane rainstorm, it's no wonder the overhead cabs of a lot of RV's have some sort of water damage history. It's destiny, there's no escaping it! It's a lot of work, but sealing it off will be a good longterm investment and you'll only have to do it once. Replacing the window with something other than glass will definitely prevent what has happened with Fred's rig, but sealing it off completely (getting rid of the rubber seal/housing etc) will be the best.

K.. have fun :)... haha get the camera out!

I'm steering toward replacing it with a Lexan sheet. I have a piece about 3/16 thick. pretty much indestructible. When we get warm weather, I'll pop the existing window out of the frame and see what it takes to seal the Lexan.

From a simple look, it appears that they use a rubber keeper that simply holds the glass in the frame, if I pull this rubber keeper, the window should just pop out.

The problem will be, reusing that rubber keeper will probably only work if its not to far deteriorated, AND the replacement window is the same thickness as the original.

It may be that I install the window without the keeper and simple use the method used for car windows. Urethane bead, 3 M sells it in different diameters, My thoughts are, place a 1/4 inch bead in the frame, then press the lexan window into the frame. The bead glues the window to the frame.

As you've noticed, I love the Digital Camera. I must have 500 photos of every little detail on my ToyHouse.

Anyway, it 12 Degs outside, this is a project for 60 degrees.:headbonk:

• 6 months later...

One day on the freeway our front window just shattered. Never figured out why.

It was safety glass so it broke into tiny pieces.

With glass gone like that it was easy to see how to remove the frame. Went to a glass shop, they cut a new piece of safety glass and installed.it. I think they replaced the rubber keeper as well.

Dog and wife both require that it be glass, aluminum wouldn't have gone over well.

• 1 month later...

I wouldnt knock lexan as having inferior quality optics, I have a polycarbonate(lexan) windsheild in my Trail truck and not one person has been able to tell the difference- even the state inspection tech(mandatory DOT glass or approved goggles) for what its worth and where its going you will be fine using it.

I used lexan and coved the window with a window grafic made for the rear window in a pickup . I can see out, but affords daytime privacy and sun block

I thought about sheeting over the window, but on a rainy day laying in the bunk reading or watching tv. it is a little less coffin like to have a window to look out.

Dale

I ultimately replaced the window with Lexan and put some window tint on the inside.

From the outside, you need to look very carefully to tell its not the original window.

Dolphin Front Window Replacement

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto