california smog

diana

Ready to buy an out-of-state rig on a low mileage 1983 4 cyl Toy. I would bring it to my home state of California next June. Anyone know if I should be able get thru the smog check easy enough or should I anticipate a problem getting this rig smogged? Thanks.

Big hurdles that you might come across if you're buying from outside of California are:-

1 - It wasn't originally fitted with the systems required to meet Cali emissions;

2 - If it was, are the parts all still there or have they been removed and thrown away.

Since I live where there are no inspections, I don't have any personal experience. I have read online that if all the equipment installed and in good operating condition that there is no problem getting it through California smog testing. I've no idea how hard it is to find any parts that might be missing from an '85.

hmmm... looks like one more thing to figure out. thanks for the reality check. i will look into exactly what the rig needs to pass inspection. (sigh)

Big hurdles that you might come across if you're buying from outside of California are:-

1 - It wasn't originally fitted with the systems required to meet Cali emissions;

2 - If it was, are the parts all still there or have they been removed and thrown away.

Since I live where there are no inspections, I don't have any personal experience. I have read online that if all the equipment installed and in good operating condition that there is no problem getting it through California smog testing. I've no idea how hard it is to find any parts that might be missing from an '85.

Don't know much about CA laws but it should only have pass the tests it was designed for when it was built hopefully are the origional parts are still there .

Where are you located again? Near San Francisco? If need be, I might be able to put you in touch with someone not too far from you (San Jose?) who might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Was this Toyota originally a California compliant vehicle? An under-hood sticker should indicate which emissions standard it was built to.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't be worried unless you were missing smog components. Even if you were, you could find them on ebay or craigslist. Depending on the price you will be paying, it may be worth it. If it ends up missing emissions components, most shops should have the service manuals and software applications that list the factory emission components so you can track them down. Chances are the parts are all still there. You could always make it a condition of purchase that the seller shows you a clean bill of health from a local shop. I would make sure the rig was checked out at a shop anyway. You'll also want to make sure it has the dually (dual wheel) six lug axle, becuase most others are not safe given the added weight of the coach. Regarding getting the rig California smog legal, I wouldn't worry. If all emission parts are installed and functioning correctly, it will be smogged per "Federal 49 state vehicle" (non-California) standard. You won't be required to install any extra smog components. If the smog is questionable for whatever reason, You can take the truck to the California BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) referee station. They are the final word on testing and certification. The Bay Area referee is at Alameda City College, not sure about ather counties. I have been there several times for my engine swap cars I have built. :)

Doug

1988 New Horizon

Edited by dougj

I used to live in Calif, Sold my house in San Jose and bought half the state of Ohio (and they threw in some of Southern Michigan to sweeten the deal)

Anyway, Doug is correct, The Smog place will look for an "As Built", factory smog system (Doesn't necessarily need to comply with Calif Smog). If any parts are missing or not operational, i.e. smog pump with no fan belt, missing hoses, Cat Converter missing, you'll fail immediately and they won't even hook the emissions machine up.

Odds are good, if the vehicles Idle speed is correct, the Timing is correct, its running good, getting good gas mileage, and nothing is visible out of the exhaust (white or blue smoke on start-up, black smoke on throttle) Your vehicle will most likely pass the smog test. The "Emissions" standards for a 25 year old vehicle are pretty loose..

If the Smog fails for "emission" (i.e. high CO), and all the equipment is complete and functional, there is a Dollar limit to "Improve" the readings. i.e. $500 - If you spend $500 and it improves the readings, but you still fail, you can get a waiver. You need to work with the Referee for this.

Usually, if you fail for emissions, this is a sign that something is wrong, and you need to address it anyway anyway. (i.e. plug misfiring)

NOX - If you fail Oxides of Nitrogen, they may require you install a "NOX Box" to help improve this emission. This usually applies to older vehicles that have vacuum advanced distributors. The NOX Box kills the Vac Advance under certain throttle conditions in an attempt to reduce NOX. I'm thinking if your vehicle is this old, your probably exempt from Smog anyway (Still need to get inspection)

Its a good idea to have a good tune up done, new plugs, wires, rotor, cap, PVC valve, filters, set timing, check fuel cap for gasket seal, If its carb, set idle speed. careful inspection for broken, missing vacuum hoses, verify the Cat converter is physically present.

These are all things you want to do anyway.

NOTE - If your purchasing a Calif vehicle, its the sellers responsibility to provide a valid Smog Certificate.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto